Inter-actor Connectivity Restoration in Wireless Sensor Actor Networks: An Overview
Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks (WSANs) consist of powerful actors and resource constraint sensors linked by wireless medium. In WSANs, the sensors gather information about the physical environment while the actors take decisions and perform appropriate actions depending on the sensed data. In some applications, actors must communicate with each other to make appropriate decisions and perform the coordinated actions. Maintaining inter-actor connectivity is extremely important in critical WSAN applications, where the actors need to quickly plan for optimal coordinated response to events detected by the sensors. The failure of a critical actor partitions the inter-actor network into disjoint segments and hinders the network operation. Under such circumstances, the network no longer becomes capable of giving a timely response to a serious event. So, recovery from an inter-actor connectivity failure is of utmost importance. This paper reviews different approaches for restoring the inter-actor connectivity in WSANs.
KeywordsWireless Sensor and Actor Networks inter-actor connectivity restoration disjoint segments recovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Abbasi, A., Akkaya, K., Younis, M.: A Distributed Connectivity Restoration Algorithm in Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: 32nd Conference on Local Computer Networks, Dublin, Ireland, pp. 496–503 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Ozaki, K., et al.: A Fault-Tolerant Model for Wireless Sensor-Actor System. In: IEEE HWISE 2006, Vienna, Austria (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Zamanifar, A., Kashefi, O., Sharifi, M.: A Hybrid Approach to Actor-Actor Connectivity Restoration in Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: 8th International Conference on Networks, pp. 76–81 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Das, S., Liu, H., Kamath, A., Nayak, A., Stojmenovic, I.: Localized Movement Control for Fault Tolerance of Mobile Robot Networks. In: First IFIP International Conference on WSANs, Albacete, Spain (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Younis, M., LKee, S., Gupta, S., Fisher, K.: A Localized Self-healing Algorithm for Networks of Moveable Sensor Nodes. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (Globecom 2008), New Orleans, LA (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Akkaya, K., Thimmapuram, A., Senel, F., Uludag, S.: Distributed Recovery of Actor Failures in Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Los Vegas, USA, pp. 2480–2485 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Imran, M., Younis, M., Said, A.M., Hasbullah, H.: Partitioning Detection and Connectivity Restoration Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Actor Networks. In: IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing, pp. 200–207 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Tamboli, N., Younis, M.: Coverage-aware Connectivity Restoration in Mobile Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2009), Dresden, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Imran, M., Younis, M., Said, A.M., Hasbullah, H.: Volunteer-instigated Connectivity Restoration Algorithm for Wireless Sensor and Actor Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communication, Networking and Information Security (WCNIS 2010), Beijing, China, pp. 679–683 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Jorgic, M., Stojmenovic, I., Hauspie, M., Simplot-Ryl, D.: Localized Algorithms for Detection of Critical Nodes and Links for Connectivity in Ad Hoc Networks. In: 3rd IFIP MedHoc, Bodrum, Turkey, pp. 360–371 (2004)Google Scholar