Soft Computing Based Partial-Retuning of Decentralised PI Controller of Nonlinear Multivariable Process
Recent developments in nature-inspired algorithms motivate the control engineers to work towards its application in industrial processes. Almost all the industrial processes are difficult to control since it involves many variables, strong interactions and inherent nonlinearities. In the present work the authors propose cuckoo search, a recent metahuristic algorithm to fine tune the parameters of decentralised PI controller of coal gasifier which is a highly nonlinear multivariable process having strong interactions among the control loops. With the existing controller parameters the response does not able to meet the performance requirements at 0% load for sinusoidal pressure disturbance test. The PI controller for pressure loop is retuned using Cuckoo search algorithm and the best optimal values for its parameters are obtained. Performance of the system with tuned optimal controller settings is evaluated for pressure disturbance test, load change test and coal quality test.
KeywordsCoal gasifier Cuckoo search algorithm metahuristic algorithm multivariable process nonlinear systems PID Controller tuning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Kotteeswaran, R., Sivakumar, L.: Lower Order Transfer Function Identification of Nonlinear MIMO System-Alstom Gasifier. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications 2(4), 1220–1226 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Griffin, I.A., Schroder, P., Chipperfield, A.J., Fleming, P.J.: Multi-objective optimization approach to the ALSTOM gasifier problem. Proceedings of IMechE Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 214(6), 453–469 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Yang, X.S.: Nature-Inspired Metaheuristic Algorithms. Luniver Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Yang, X.S.: Biology-derived algorithms in engineering optimization (Chapter 32). In: Olarius, Zomaya (eds.) Handbook of Bioinspired Algorithms and Applications. Chapman & Hall / CRC (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Valian, E., Mohanna, S., Tavakoli, S.: Improved Cuckoo Search Algorithm forGlobal Optimization. International Journal of Communications and Information Technology 1(1), 31–44 (2011)Google Scholar