Emerging ICT Tools for Virtual Supply Chain Management: Evidences from Progressive Companies
Industry trends like liberalization, privatization and globalization have resulted in increasing competition & pricing pressure and thereby compelled enterprises to adopt robust supply chain management technologies and policies. To survive in these times, companies will find that their conventional supply chain integration will have to be expanded beyond their boundaries so as to integrate all stakeholders. Adoption of ICT tools is vital for such efforts. ICT tools are great enablers, enhancers, levelers and facilitators of enterprise operations. This paper discusses the role of emerging ICT tools like Cloud Computing, RFID and Decision Support Systems (DSS) as an enabler in virtual supply chain management and also highlights the adoption of these technologies in various contexts. Successful ICT implementations of SCM of progressive companies are also described.
KeywordsSupply Chain Management (SCM) RFID Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Decision Support Systems (DSS) Cloud Computing virtual
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nair, P.R., Raju, V., Anbuudayashankar, S.P.: Overview of Information Technology Tools for Supply Chain Management. CSI Comm. 33(9), 20–27 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Anderson, D.L., Britt, F.E., Favre, D.J.: The Seven Principles of Supply Chain Management. Supply Chain Mgmt Rev., 31–41 (Spring 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Schramm, T., Nogueira, S., Jones, D.: Cloud Computing and Supply Chain: A Natural Fit for the Future: Logistics Mgmt. 3, 9–11 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Nair, P.R., Balasubramaniam, O.A.: IT Enabled Supply Chain Management using Decision Support Systems. CSI Comm. 34(2), 34–40 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Jha, V.: Impact of Cloud Computing on Supply Chain Management. IIM Indore Mgmt. Canvas (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Michael, K., McCathie, L.: The Pros and Cons of RFID in Supply Chain Management. In: International Conference on Mobile Business, pp. 623–629 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Sabbaghi, A., Vaidyanathan, G.: Effectiveness and Efficiency of RFID Technology in SCM - Strategic Values and Challenges. J. of Theo and Appl Electron Comm Res. 3(2), 71–81 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Nair, P.R.: RFID for Supply Chain Management. CSI Comm. 36(8), 14–18 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Simchi-levi, D., Kaminsky, P., Simchi-levi, E.: Managing the Supply Chain: The Definitive Guide for the Business Professional. McGraw Hill, Columbus (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, C., Lee, K.C., Han, J.H.: A Web-based Decision Support System for Logistics Decision-Making. Proc of the Acad. of Info. and Mgmt. Sci. 3(1) (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Channel World Information, http://www.channelworld.in/specialreports/index.jsp/artId=5013515
- 13.Information Technology Research Institute Information, http://rfid.uark.edu/research-papers.asp