Development of Web-Based Application for Generating and Publishing Groundwater Quality Maps Using RS/GIS Technology and P. Mapper in Sattenapalle, Mandal, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh
Groundwater is an essential source of drinking water for many Indian habitats. Large number of people consumes ground water as it is free from pathogenic bacteria and it is easily available through open well / bore well / tube well. The quality of water plays a prominent role in promoting human health. The paper discusses the usage of P-mapper for publishing the maps on to web portal. Element wise and integrated ground water quality maps are prepared for the elements pH, Total Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Total Dissolved Solids, Chloride and Fluoride. The ground water quality maps are studied with respect to different thematic maps which were prepared by using Remote Sensing and GIS techniques. The main aim and objectives of the current study is in building up of open source web GIS based application which has been developed using open sources like Postgress SQL, Map Guide and Pmapper. This application can be used for bringing the generated ground water quality maps to the authority and or the community and to alert the local community about the steps to be taken about the contaminated water and decision making. In conclusion web based GIS application is a useful tool especially in formulating policy related to water quality using P-mapper as a media.
KeywordsGIS Ground Water quality Map server P-mapper Remote Sensing Web GIS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Winter, T.C., Harvey, J.W., Lehn Franke, O., Alley, W.M.: Ground Water and Surface Water A Single Resource. U.S. Geological Survey Circular1139, Denver, Colorado (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Ramachandran, S.: Application of Remote Sensing and GIS Google Scholar
- 5.Lilesand, T.M.: Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation. John Wiley andsons. U.S.A. 721p. (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Watson, D.F., Philip, G.M.: A Refinement of Inverse Distance Weighted Interpolation. Geoprocessing 2, 315–327 (1985)Google Scholar
- 7.RGNDWM Manual, Groundwater Quality Mapping for Rajiv Gandhi national drinking water mission (RGNDWM) National Remote Sensing Agency, NRSA (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.BIS 10500 (Bureau of Indian Standards), Indian Standard Drinking Water Specification, 1st edn., pp. 1-8 (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.McKenna, J.: Mapsever for Windows (MS4W), Gateway Geomatics (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Valentini, L.: P.mapper User Manual v. 4.x, Gis course 2011, Development of a p.mapper-based webGIS, Politecnico di Milano – Polo Regionale di Como (2011)Google Scholar