Mutual Dependency of Function Points and Scope Creep towards the Success of Software Projects: An Investigation
The Project Management strategies in the current corporate scenario are not helping towards successful project management. Project scope is one of the major project management knowledge areas in software industries. However, with existing techniques of project management, it is yet a challenge to effectively manage the scope creep. However, function point analysis is deemed to be one of the popular factors that modulate the project management. This paper therefore aims at analysing the impact of scope creep in terms of function points towards realization of project success. Projects from two widely developed domains namely ERP and Financial are studied to comprehend above said aim. The investigation results indicate existence of transitivity relation between scope creep, function points and project success. This knowledge further enables the project manager to accordingly plan for the generation of expected success level of projects during software development process.
KeywordsProject Management Scope Creep Function Points Software Engineering Software Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duncan, W.R.: A Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge. Project Management Institute, Pennsylvania (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Chang, C.K., Christensen, M.: A Net Practice for Software Project Management. Researchers Corner. IEEE Software (November/December 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Kazemipoor, H., Shirazi, F.: A Methodology for Preventing and Managing Scope Creep in Projects (Case Study in Mapna-Iran). Research Journal of International Studies (23) (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Gopalakrishnan Nair, T.R., Suma, V., Shashi Kumar, N.R.: Significance of Project Manager in Effective Defect Management in Software Development Process. In: The 5th Malaysian Software Engineering Conference (MySEC 2011), Johor Bahru, Malaysia, December 13-14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Suma, V., Shubha Mangala, B.R., Manjunatha Rao, L.: Impact Analysis of Volatility and Security on Requirements during Software Development Process. In: International Conference on Software Engineering and Mobile Application Modeling and Development (ICSEMA), Chennai, India, December 19-21 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Staub, S., Fischer, M.: The Practical Needs of Integrating Scope Cost and Time. In: Lacasse, M.A., Vanier, D.J. (eds.) Institute for Research in Construction, Ottawa ON, K1A 0R6, Canada, pp. 2888–2898. National Research Council Canada (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Fundamentals of Function Point Analysis, Knowledge@SoftwareMetrics.Com, Longstreet Consulting Inc., Blue Springs (1992), http://www.softwaremetrics.com/fpafund.htm
- 8.Garmus, D., Harron, D.: Function point Analysis: Measurement Practices for Successful Software Projects. Addison Wesley Professional (2000) ISBN-10: 0201699443, ISBN-13: 978-0201699449Google Scholar
- 9.Sutherland, J., Schwaber, K.: The Crisis in Software: The Wrong Process Produces the Wrong Results, pp. 3–16, http://www.controlchaos.com/storage/S3D%20First%20Chapter.pdf
- 10.Horvath, D.: Controlling Project Scope with Function Point Analysis. A Publication for Information Technology Professionals Q/P Management Group, Inc. Copyright 2008-2009Google Scholar