HCI with Chocolate: Introducing HCI Concepts to Brazilian Girls in Elementary School
- 1.1k Downloads
In order to attract women to the area of computing there are several initiatives in the Brazilian context. The project named Meninas Digitais (Digital Girls) is one of them.In this paper we discuss one experiment carried out in the context of this project. A Computer Science Unplugged activity (The Chocolate Factory) was performed in a Brazilian state school. The activity was about HCI design and was done with nine teenagers. Most of these girls do not have a computer, so they rarely use one. The experiment was their first contact with a topic related to concepts of HCI design, and the girls succeeded in the activity giving interesting solutions for the problem situations presented. The experiment showed that it is possible to introduce some activities to elementary school students so as to present HCI and promote courses in the area of Computing.
KeywordsHCI design Computer Science Unplugged Women in IT
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CS-Unplugged Principles. Disponível em, http://csunplugged.org/unplugged-principles
- 2.CS-Unplugged. Human Interface Design - The Chocolate Factory Activity. Disponível em, http://csunplugged.org/sites/default/files/activity_pdfs_full/unplugged-19-human_interface_design_0.pdf
- 3.Maciel, C., Bim, S.A., Boscarioli, C.: A fantástica fábrica de chocolate: Levando o sabor de IHC para meninas do ensino fundamental. In: Proceedings of the 11th Brazilian Symposium on Human Factors in Computing Systems (IHC 2012), pp. 27–28. Brazilian Computer Society, Cuiabá (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Rogers, Y., Sharp, H., Preece, J.: Interaction Design: Beyond Human Computer Interaction, 3rd edn. John Wiley & Sons (2011), http://www.id-book.com/
- 5.Tozetto, C.: Projeto tenta criar geração de meninas digitais. IG – Tecnologias – Especiais. Disponível em, http://tecnologia.ig.com.br/especial/projeto-tenta-atrair-meninas-avessas-a-tecnologia/n1597400604285.html
- 6.WIE. IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE). Disponível em, http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/women/women_about.html
- 7.WIT. VI Women in Information Technology. Disponível em http://www.imago.ufpr.br/csbc2012/wit.php