Thermal Sintering Improves the Short Circuit Current of Solar Cells Sensitized with CdTe/CdSe Core/Shell Nanocrystals
Aqueous colloidal solution of CdTe/CdSe core/shell nanocrystals used in this sensitized solar cells were synthesized using a wet chemical method. These colloidal nanocrystals were capped with Mercapto-Succinic Acid, which is a bi-functional linker molecule. The nanocrystal sensitized TiO2 electrodes were prepared by pipetting aqueous solution of MSA capped CdTe/CdSe nanocrystal onto the mesoporous TiO2 followed by making a ZnS window layer. We found that, presence of Mercapto-Succinic Acid significantly affects short circuit current and thereby the overall efficiency of solar cell as it is insulating in nature. Sintering at 400OC seems to help in increasing charge transfer from nanocrystals to TiO2. This in turns actually shows up as a large increase in short circuit current density by 186 % and efficiency by 216 % compared to non-sintered cells. Parameters for the highest efficiency cell are Jsc = 8 mA/cm2, Voc = 0.53 V and η = 1.74 %.
KeywordsPhotovoltaics Nanocrystals Core/Shell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Author wants to thank Dept. of Science and Technology, India for DST Nano Unit grant SR/NM/NS-42/2009 and IISER-Pune for their financial support. Author thanks Dr. Shouvik Datta of IISER-Pune for guidance and valuable discussions. Degussa P25 TiO2 material was a generous gift from Evonik Industries. Author also wants to thank the research group of Dr. Ogale, NCL, Pune for their help in TiO2 processing.
- 2.H. K. Jun, M. A. Careem and A. K. Arof, Renewable energy and sustainable energy reviews,22, 148(2013).Google Scholar
- 3.A. J. Nozik, M. C. Beard, J. M. Luther, M. Law, R. J. Ellingson and J. C. Johnson, Chem. Rev.110, 6873 (2010).Google Scholar
- 6.P. K. Santra and P.V. Kamat, J. Am.Chem. Soc. 134, 2508 (2012).Google Scholar
- 8.P. Peng, D. J. Milliron., S. M. Hughes, J. C. Johnson, A. P. Alivistos, R. J. Saykally, Nano Lett.5, 1809 (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Piryatinksi, S. A. Ivanov, S. Tretiak, V. I. Klimov. Nano Lett.7, 108 (2007).Google Scholar
- 15.P. Padmashri, C. Latlanzuala, Manuscript submitted.Google Scholar
- 18.Y.-L. Lee and C.-H. Chang, J. Power Sources 185, 584 (2008).Google Scholar