Investigation of Current Conduction Mechanism in HfO2 Thin Film on Silicon Substrate
In this work, we have investigated current conduction mechanisms in HfO2 thin film deposited on silicon substrate by RF sputtering technique. The thin films of HfO2 were deposited on p-type silicon substrates. FTIR measurement shows the presence of hafnium in the film. Among the various conduction mechanisms the 13.7 nm thin HfO2 film on Si follows the Fowler–Nordheim (FN) tunneling. The Poole–Frenkel (PF) emission, Schottky emission (SE) and Direct Tunneling (DT) also studied. The barrier height (ϕB) of 0.74 eV is calculated from experimental work through Fowler–Nordheim tunneling mechanism.
KeywordsHfO2 High-k FTIR Leakage current density FN tunneling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors are thankful to CEN, IITB for providing necessary fabrication and characterization facilities under INUP scheme. One of the author’s A. G. Khairnar is thankful to Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) New Delhi, India for providing Senior Research Fellowship for carrying out this work [File No. 09/728(0029)/2012-EMR-I].
- 1.J. Robertson, Rep. Prog. Phys, 69, 327 (2006).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Houssa, L. Pantisano, L.A. Ragnarsson, R. Degraeve, T. Schram, G. Pourtois, S. De Gendt, G. Groeseneken, M. M. Heyns, Materials Science and Engineering, R 51, 37 (2006).Google Scholar
- 3.H. J. Quah and K. Y. Cheong, Nanoscale Research Letters, 53, 1-7 (2013).Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Khairnar and A. M. Mahajan, Bull. Mater. Sci., 36(2), 259-263 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Doscher, G. Lilienkamp, P. Iskra, M. Kazempoor and W. Daum, J. Vac. Sci. Technol, B 28(4), C5B5 (2010).Google Scholar
- 7.A. M. Mahajan, A. G. Khairnar, B. J. Thibeault, accepted in Semiconductors (Springer) July 2013.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Wiemer, L. Lamagna and M. Fanciulli, Semicond. Sci. Technol, 27, 074013 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.M.G. Blanchin, B. Canut, Y. Lambert, V. S. Teodorescu, A. Barau and M. Zaharescu, J. Sol-Gel Sci Technol, 47, 165 (2008).Google Scholar
- 17.K. Y. Cheong, J. H. Moon, H. J. Kim, W. Bahng, and Nam-Kyun Kim, J. Appl. Phys. 103, 084113 (2008).Google Scholar
- 18.P. M. Tirmali, A. G. Khairnar, B. N. Joshi and A. M. Mahajan, Solid-State Electron,62(1), 44 (2011).Google Scholar