Doping Concentration Dependence of Pinch-Off Effect in Inhomogeneous Schottky Diodes
The Poisson’s equation along with drift diffusion equations have been used to simulate the current–voltage characteristics of inhomogeneous Schottky diodes with different doping concentration. Firstly, the potential variation inside the bulk semiconductor is calculated and then the current as a function of bias through the Schottky diode for various doping concentration are calculated. From the simulated current–voltage characteristics the diode parameters are extracted by fitting of current–voltage data into thermionic emission diffusion current equation. The derived barrier parameters are analyzed to study the effect of different barrier patch size and different doping concentration on the current–voltage characteristics of inhomogeneities Schottky diodes. Pinch-off effect is brought to light by this numerical simulation which indicate that regions of low-SBH regions are blocked (get vanish) when the size of these patch regions is less than the average depletion width For normal doping there exists a peak in ideality factor plot at certain spacing. However the peak in ideality factor slowly diminishes as the doping decreases. No such distinct feature is seen in barrier height plots.
KeywordsCurrent–voltage characteristics Ideality factor barrier inhomogeneities Pinch-off effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.H. Rhoderick. and R.H,Williams., Metal–Semiconductor Contacts, Clerendon, Oxford (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.R.L Van Meirhaeghe, W.H Lafle′ re, and F. Cardon, J. Appl. Phys., 76, 403 (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.P.L. Hanselear, W.H. Lafle′ re, R.L.Van Meirhaeghe, F. Cardon, J. Appl. Phys. 56 2309 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.M.E., Aydin, K. Akkilic, and T. Kilicoglu, Appl. Surf. Sci. 253, 1304 (2006).Google Scholar
- 5.S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices,New York: John Wiley and sons, (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Osvald, J. Appl. Phys.,85,1935 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.I. D. Mayergoyz, J. Appl. Phys, 59, 195 (1986).Google Scholar
- 8.C.E. Korman, I.D. Mayergoyz, J. Appl. Phys. 68, 1324 (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.P. Kaushal, S. Chand and J. Osvald, Int. Jr. Electron, 100, 686-698 (2013).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Chand, P. Kaushal and J. Osvald, J. Electron. Mater., 41, 3387-3392 (2012).Google Scholar