Reduction of Electron Overflow Problem by Improved InGaN/GaN Based Multiple Quantum Well LEDs Structure with p- AlInGaN/AlGaN EBL Layer
InGaN/GaN-based Multi Quantum Well (MQW) LEDS with p-AlInGaN/AlGaN electron blocking layers (EBL) are studied using the SimuLED simulator. The simulation results specify the importance of p-AlInGaN/AlGaN electron blocking layers to suppress the electron overflow problem in the InGaN based MQW LED device structure for the further improvement in the optical and electrical performance of the device. The designed AlInGaN/AlGaN EBL was investigated by changing different Al and In concentrations and was analyzed. It shows a reduction in electron overflow and subsequent increase in Internal Quantum Efficiency by insertion of AlXInYGa1-X-YN-Al0.15Ga0.85N(X = 0.1, Y = 0.15) EBL instead of conventional AlGaN EBL. Structure shows a significant reduction in efficiency droop and aiding a supportive barrier for electron overflow.
KeywordsEfficiency droop Electron overflow EBL MQW LEDs Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to acknowledge Senior Research Fellowship (CSIR-SRF) from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India for their financial support.
- 2.T. Mukai, M. Yamada, and S. Nakamura, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38, 3976 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.J. Piprek, Phys. Status Solidi A 207, 2217 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.K. A. Bulashevich and S. Yu. Karpov, phys. stat. sol. (c) 5, No. 6, 2066 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.A. Y. Kim, W. Go, D. A. Steigerwald, J. J. Wierer, N. F. Gardner, J. Sun, S. A. Stockman, P. S. Martin, M. R. Krames, R. S. Kern and F. M. Steranka, Phys. Status Solidi A 188, 15 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.X. J. Pei, L. W. Guo, X. H Wang, Y. Wang, H. Q. Jia, H. Chen and J. M. Zhou, Chin. Phys. Lett. 26 028101 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.C. S. Xia, Z. M. Simon Li, W. Lu, Z. H. Zhang, Y. Sheng, W. D. Hu, and L. W. Cheng, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 094503 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.G. Franssen, P. Perlin, and Suski, Phys. Rev. B,69 045310 (2004)Google Scholar