Monitoring Parameters for Optimization of Power & Efficiency and Minimization of Noise in High Frequency IMPATT Diodes
Studies on Impatt Diodes, as the premier class of Solid State Power Sources covering frequencies from 10 to 500 GHz, reveal various ways and means for pushing Frequency, Power and Efficiency and lowering avalanche noise through monitoring of Structural, material and operating parameters. Enhancement of efficiency through incorporation of charge bump, choice of WBG semiconductor like ZnS, use of new structure (DAR) and new junction type (Hetero junction/Hetero structure junction; pushing rf power by increasing bias current, using different WBG semiconductors (SiC, GaN, ZnS); moving to high frequency band through increase of bias current with doping modulation for compensating performance deterioration, harmonic operation and width modulation and lowering of noise by selection of proper semiconductor, diode structure and type of junction can be realized.
KeywordsHigh power/efficiency Charge bump Harmonics Avalanche noise Tera-Hertz Wide band gap semiconductors Heavy current performance deterioration and compensation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Shur, “Terahertz technology: devices and applications”, Proceedings of ESSDERC, Grenoble, France (2005).Google Scholar
- 4.S. P. Pati, P. R. Tripathy and S. K. Dash, “Avalanche Breakdown Characteristics of Wide Band Gap vis-à-vis Low Band Gap Junctions and High RF Power/Low Noise Generation in ZnS DD IMPATTs”, International Journal of Pure and Applied Physics (ISSN 0973-1776), Vol. 6, Number 2, pp. 229-241 (2010).Google Scholar
- 6.S. P. Pati and P. R. Tripathy, “Microwave Performance of Si DDRs in Fundamental/Harmonic/Enhanced Current Modes at 35 GHz”, (IWPSD-2009), Excel India Publishers, New Delhi (ISBN: 978-93-80043-55-5), pp 447-450 (2009).Google Scholar
- 7.S. P. Pati, J. P. Banerjee and S. K. Roy, “High efficiency numerical analysis of double avalanche region IMPATT diode”, Semiconductor Sc & Tech., Vol. 6, pp. 777-783 (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.P. R. Tripathy, M. Mukherjee and S. P. Pati, “Possible Realization of Near Optimum Efficiency from n-Si-Ge/p-Ge-Si DDR Hetero Structure IMPATT Diode”, 7th National Conf.e on Comm. (2011).Google Scholar
- 9.S. P. Pati, P. R. Tripathy, P. Purohit, A. K. Panda and S. K. Choudhury, “Realistic Computer Simulation and Modeling for Thin Impatt Devices”, IJCA, UK, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp-33-57 (2013).Google Scholar