Synthesis of Multilayer Graphene by Filtered Cathodic Vacuum Arc Technique
Filtered cathodic vacuum arc technique has been used to deposit amorphous carbon films of varying thickness on catalytic nickel thin film grown on SiO2/Si substrates. Subsequently these a-C films were annealed in vacuum at 650 °C. Raman spectroscopy together with optical microscopy and scanning electron microscopy has revealed multilayer graphene formation.
KeywordsGraphene Filtered cathodic vacuum arc Raman spectroscopy Optical microscopy Scanning electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are grateful to Prof. R. C. Budhani, Director, CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi (India), for his kind permission to publish this paper. They wish to thank Dr. Kamal Jeet of CEERI, Pilani for growing SiO2 layer on Si wafer, Dr. S. K. Singhal and Dr. H. K. Singh for help in annealing the samples, Mr. A. K. Sood for providing SEM micrograph, Mr. C. M. S. Rauthan, Mr. R. K. Tripathi, for their help and useful discussion. Mr. Ajay Kumar Kesarwani and Mr. Atul Bisht are grateful to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and University Grant Commission (UGC), Government of India, respectively, for financial assistance during the course of this work.
- 1.A. K. Geim and K. S. Novoselov, Nat. Mater., 6, 183 (2007).Google Scholar
- 2.X. Li, G. Zhang, X. Bai, X. Sun, X. Wang, E. Wang and H. Dai, Nat. Nanotechnol., 3, 538 (2008).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Wang, K. K. Manga, Q. Ban and K. P. Loh, J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 133, 8888 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Reina, X. Jia, J. Ho, D. Nezich, H. Son, V. Blovic, M. S. Dresselhaus and J. Kong, Nano Lett., 9, 3087 (2009).Google Scholar
- 9.J. H. Seo, H. W. Lee, J. K. Kim, J. W. Kang, M. S. Wang and C. S. Kim, Current Appl. Phys., 12, S131 (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.O. S. Panwar, Y. Aparna, S. M. Shivaprasad, M.A. Khan, B. S. Satyanarayana and R. Bhattacharya, Appl. Surf. Sci., 221, 392 (2004).Google Scholar
- 13.O. S. Panwar, M. A. Khan, G. Bhagavanarayana, P. N. Dixit, Sushil Kumar and C. M. S. Rauthan, Ind. J. Pure and Appl. Phys., 46,797 (2008).Google Scholar
- 14.A. C. Ferrari, J. C. Meyer, V. Scardaci, C. Casiraghi, M. Lazzeri, F. Mauri, S. Piscanec, D. Jiang, K. S. Novoselov, S. Roth and A. K. Geim, Phys. Rev. Lett., 97, 187401 (2006).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Gupta, G. Chen, P. Joshi, S. Tadigadapa and P. C. Eklund, Nano Lett., 6, 2667 (2006).Google Scholar
- 17.O. S. Panwar, A. K. Kesarwani, S. R. Dhakate, B. P. Singh, Atul Bisht and Sreekumar Chockalingam, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 31, 040602 (2013).Google Scholar
- 20.Z. H. Ni, H. M. Wang, J. Kasim, H. M. Fan, T. Yu, Y. H. Wu, Y. P. Feng and Z. X. Shen, Nano Lett., 7, 2758 (2007).Google Scholar