Simulations of PCB Assembly Optimisation Based on the Bees Algorithm with TRIZ-Inspired Operators
The process of assembling electronic components on a printed circuit board (PCB) with moving board time delay characteristic involves complex co-ordination of a component feeding system, a pick and place system and the positioning movement of the PCB board. Different component arrangements in the feeder system and different assembly paths influence the total assembly time. Reducing the total assembly time can deliver significant cost savings. In this research work, the application of simulation to component assembly enables process engineers to visualise, compare assembly paths and the arrangement of the feeders as well as to verify the total assembly time achieved. This allows the process engineers to make better decision on the planning of the PCB assembly process. The paper shows that simulation when coupled with optimisation techniques enable process engineers to make and plan improvements in PCB assembly times.
Keywordssimulation TRIZ pcb assembly Bees Algorithm optimisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khoo, L.P., Ng, T.K.: A genetic algorithm-based planning system for PCB component placement. Int. Journal of Production Economics (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Ho, W., Ji, P.: Optimal Production Planning for PCB Assembly. Springer, London (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Ang, M.C., Pham, D.T., Ng, K.W.: Application of the Bees Algorithm with TRIZ-inspired operators for PCB assembly planning. In: Proceedings of 5th International Virtual Conference on Innovative Production Machines and Systems (I*PROMS 2009). Cardiff University (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Ang, M.C., Pham, D.T., Soroka, A.J., Ng, K.W.: PCB assembly optimisation using the Bees Algorithm enhanced with TRIZ operators. In: IECON 2010 - 36th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 2708–2713 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Pham, D.T., Otri, S., Haj Darwish, A.: Application of the Bees Algorithm to PCB assembly optimisation. In: Pham, D.T., Eldukhri, E.E., Soroka, A.J. (eds.) Proc. 3rd Virtual Int. Conf. on Innovative Production Machines and Systems (I*PROMS 2007), pp. 511–516. Whittles Pub. (2007)Google Scholar