Application of Sensor in Shoe
This paper presents the development of portable wearable system for sports related data capture and analysis in order to enhance the athletic performance. The sensors that are being used include 4-FSRs (Force Sensitive Resistors), accelerometer, GPS module (GTPA010) and pulse sensor. Arduino duemilanove 328 has been used as a microcontroller. The wearable system that was developed can be put into a mount which can be subsequently attached to a shoe. This wearable system provides an inexpensive alternative to the rather bulky and expensive motion sensing labs which are used for real time data analysis. Sensors produce qualitative results, without the accuracy needed for true biomechanical analysis and thereby facilitate to provide broad estimates of quantities attractive to the hobbyist.
Keywordssensors body sensor networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mizuno, H., Nagai, H., Sasaki, K., Hosaka, H., Sugimoto, C., Khalil, K., Tatsuta, S.: Wearable sensor system for human behavior recognition. Department of Human and Engineered Environmental Studies. The University of Tokyo, Kashiwa, Chiba, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 2.Bamberg, S.J.M., Benbasat, A.Y., Scarborough, D.M., Krebs, D.E., Paradiso, J.A.: Gait analysis using a shoe-integrated wireless sensor system. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine 12(4) (July 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Parikesit, E., Mengko, T.L.R., Zakaria, H.: Wearable Gait Measurement System Based on Accelerometer and Pressure Sensor. In: Biomedical Engineering, School of Electrical Engineering & Informatics ITB, Bandung, IndonesiaGoogle Scholar
- 4.De Rossi, S.M.M., Lenzi, T., Vitiello, N., Donati, M., Persichetti, A., Giovacchini, F., Vecchi, F., Carrozza, M.C.: Development of an in-shoe pressure-sensitive device for gait analysis. In: 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS Boston, Massachusetts USA, August 30 - September 3 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.http://support-en-us.nikeplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30875/p/3169,3700,last (accessed on February 23, 2013)
- 6.http://www.tekscan.com/medical/system-fscan1.html (last accessed on February 23, 2013)
- 7.Accelerometer, http://www.dimensionengineering.com/info/accelerometers (last accessed August 28, 2012)
- 8.Force sensitive resistors, http://www.tekscan.com/flexible-force-sensors (last accessed August 28, 2012)
- 9.GPS, http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122&products_id=424 (last accessed on February 23, 2013)
- 10.Pulsesensor, http://www.makershed.com/Pulse_Sensor_for_Arduino_5_Volt_p/mkre1.htm (last accessed on February 23, 2013)
- 11.Arduino homepage, http://arduino.cc/ (last accessed on February 23, 2013)
- 12.Javamail 1.4, http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javamail-1-4-140512.html (last accessed on February 23, 2013)