It Is Just Not Cricket
The game of cricket now stands tarnished by betting and fixing match outcomes through corrupt practices. Star players and club officials are involved and there is evidence of major matches, even during the World Cup being compromised. The spread of illegal betting in cricket has expanded with the advent of technology. Internet based betting sites coupled with unregulated nature of betting in Asian economies, particularly India, has facilitated growth of illegal gambling. This has encouraged the entry of underworld crime syndicates to manipulate games and outcomes for massive gambling profits. The result has been major corruption scandals and questions about the sports itself. This paper describes the betting phenomenon and some major incidents associated with the growing corruption in cricket. The policy responses of major cricket playing nations are presented, along with suggestions for strategies to be adopted to curb corruption in cricket.
KeywordsMoney Laundering Responsible Gambling Online Gambling Crime Syndicate Provincial Authority
- Burke, J., Campbell, D., & Mitchell, K. (1999). Revealed: Godfather of cricket’s scandals. The Observer (London), 12–13.Google Scholar
- Businessline, 2013. ‘IPL spot-fixing: Delhi police teams to track money trail’, May 18. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/sports/ipl-spotfixing-delhi-police-teams-to-track-money-trail/article4727028.ece viewed May 31, 2013.
- Chandravarkar, Rohit. 2013. ‘IPL spot-fixing: Proceeds from T20 betting used to fund terrorist outfits, says police’, The Economic Times (Online), May 24. http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-05-24/news/39502315_1_crime-branch-shobhan-mehta-bookies viewed May 31, 2013.
- Collins, M. F. (2002). Sport and Social Exclusion. Routledge Ltd.Google Scholar
- Dougherty, JM. (2006). Hawala: How terrorists move funds globally, Corporate Finance Review, 10(6), 28–36.Google Scholar
- Dr. K.R. Lakshmanan v. State Of Tamil Nadu And Ors (1996) Supreme Court of India: AIR 1153, 1996 SCC (2) 226Google Scholar
- Forrest, D. (2012). The threat to football from betting-related corruption, International Journal of Sport Finance, 7(2), 99–116.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, S. (2013). R v Amir & Butt  EWCA civ 2914, Leading cases in sports law (pp. 287–303) Springer.Google Scholar
- Howe, Darcus. (2000). Cricketers must have known of the cheats for years, New Statesman 129, No. 4483Google Scholar
- Judge, WQ. (2011). The antecedents and effects of national corruption: A metaanalysis. Journal of world business: JWB (1090–9516), 46(1), p. 93. doi: 10.1016/j.jwb.2010.05.021.
- Mahyera, R. (2012). Saving cricket: A proposal for the legalization of gambling in India to regulate corrupt betting practices in cricket, Emory Int’l Law Review, 26, 365–489.Google Scholar
- Rediff.com (2000). Report on cricket match fixing and related malpractices, October, Central Bureau of Investigation, New Delhi. http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2000/nov/01full.htm viewed May 31, 2013.
- S Ahmad Ali (2013). IPL Spot-Fixing: Cops may have names of Bollywood celebs into betting [ET Cetera]. The Economic Times (Online), p. n. Ahmad Ali (2013).Google Scholar
- Shears, R & Whiting, M. (1998). ‘Waugh and Warne in betting scandal; Two fined for helping bookmaker’, Daily Mail (London) December 9. http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-110693622/waugh-and-warne-in-betting-scandal-two-fined-for viewed May 31, 2013.
- The Economic Times, (2013). IPL spot-fixing: Cops may have names of Bollywood celebs into betting, May 19. http://m.economictimes.com/news/news-by-industry/et-cetera/ipl-spot-fixing-cops-may-have-names-of-bollywood-celebs-into-betting/articleshow/20119602.cms viewed May 31, 2013.
- The Economist. (2000). Heads, you lose. May 4. http://www.economist.com/node/333216 viewed May 31, 2013.
- The Financial Daily. (2013). PCB bans Ghauri for corruption charges, April 15. http://www.thefinancialdaily.com/NewsDetail/161243.aspx viewed May 31, 2013.
- The Hindustan Times, (2013). Vindoo was invited to match by Gurunath: Police, May 23. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Specials/Cricket/T20/Chunk-HT-UI-T20-SpotFixing/Vindoo-was-invited-to-match-by-Gurunath-Police/SP-Article10-1064564.aspx viewed May 31, 2013.
- The Times Of India. (2013). Illegal Betting in IPL Could Be worth 40 k Crores’ May 17. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-05-17/news/39334935_1_indian-premier-league-ipl-old-delhi viewed May 31, 2013.
- Upadhyay, Y & Singh, SK. (2010). When sports celebrity doesn’t perform: how consumers react to celebrity endorsement? Vision, 14(1), 67–78. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/649038880?accountid=2909.
- Wade, M. (2008). The tycoon who changed cricket. The Age (Melbourne, Vic.), 2008-03-08, p5.Google Scholar