Intelligent Firefly Algorithm for Global Optimization
Intelligent firefly algorithm (IFA) is a novel global optimization algorithm that aims to improve the performance of the firefly algorithm (FA), which was inspired by the flashing communication signals among firefly swarms. This chapter introduces the IFA modification and evaluates its performance in comparison with the original algorithm in twenty multi-dimensional benchmark problems. The results of those numerical experiments show that IFA outperformed FA in terms of reliability and effectiveness in all tested benchmark problems. In some cases, the global minimum could not have been successfully identified via the firefly algorithm, except with the proposed modification for FA.
KeywordsGlobal optimization Nature-inspired methods Intelligent firefly algorithm.
- 8.Yang, X.S.: Firefly algorithm. Nature-Inspired Metaheuristic AlgorithmsLuniver Press, UK (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.B. Rampriya, K. Mahadevan, and S. Kannan, Unit commitment in deregulated power system using Lagrangian firefly algorithm, In: International Conference on Communication Control and Computing Technologies, pp. 389–393, 2010.Google Scholar
- 12.dos Santos Coelho, L., de Andrade Bernert, D.L., Mariani, V.C.: A chaotic firefly algorithm applied to reliability-redundancy optimization. In: IEEE Congr. Evol. Comput. 2011, 517–521 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Giannakouris, G., Vassiliadis, V., and Dounias, G. Experimental Study on a Hybrid Nature-Inspired Algorithm for Financial Portfolio Optimizatio. In: Konstantopoulos, S., Perantonis, S., Karkaletsis, V., Spyropoulos, C. and Vouros, G. (eds.) Artificial Intelligence: Theories, Models and Applications, vol. 6040, pp. 101–111. Springer, Berlin / Heidelberg, (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Ali, M.M., Khompatraporn, C., Zabinsky, Z.B.: A numerical evaluation of several stochastic algorithms on selected continuous global optimization test problems. J. Glob. Optim. 31, 635–672 (2005)Google Scholar