Fuzzy Fractional Order PID Based Parallel Cascade Control System
Parallel cascade controllers are used in process and control industries to improve the dynamic performance of a control system in the presence of disturbances. In the present work, fuzzy set point weighted Fractional Order Proportional Integral Derivative (FOPID) controller is designed for the primary loop of the parallel cascade control system. The secondary controller is designed using the internal model control (IMC) method. Also, a smith predictor based dead time compensator is designed to compensate large time delay in the process. Several case studies are considered to show the advantage of the proposed method when compared to other recently reported methods. The proposed method provides robust control performance which significantly improves the closed loop response with less settling time when compared to conventional PID controller based parallel cascade control system.
KeywordsFractional Order Proportional Integral Derivative (FOPID) control Fuzzy Set-point Weighting(FSW) Parallel Cascade Control Smith Predictor Internal Model Control (IMC) PID
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Smith, O.J.M.: Closer control of loops with dead time. Chem. Eng. Prog. 53, 217 (1957)Google Scholar
- 3.Matusu, R.: Application of fractional order calculus to control theory. IJMMMAS 5(7) (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Visoli, A.: Tuning of PID controllers with fuzzy logic. IEE Proc.-Control Theory Appl. 148(I) (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Ziegler, J.G., Nichols, N.B.: Optimum setting for automatic Controllers. ASME Trans., 759–768 (1942)Google Scholar
- 10.Seshagiri Rao, A., Seethaladevi, S., Uma, S., Chidambaram, M.: Enhancing the performance of parallel cascade control using Smith predictor. ISA Trans. Pt, 00190578 (2008)Google Scholar