Enhanced MRAC Based Parallel Cascade Control Strategy for Unstable Process with Application to a Continuous Bioreactor
In this paper, Enhanced Model Reference Adaptive Control (E-MRAC) based Parallel Cascade Control strategy (PCC) is proposed for the control of unstable continuous bioreactor. This control system consists of secondary and primary loop. The secondary loop comprises of PID controller, which is designed based on the direct synthesis method. In order to achieve stable responses for unstable processes like continuous bioreactor, non linear control strategy in the primary loop would gain edge over linear control. Hence, the Enhanced MRAC (includes smith predictor) is introduced in the primary loop. The presence of Smith predictor has minimized the discrepancies due to dead times. This seems to be an added advantage over existing ones. From the simulation studies it is observed that Enhanced MRAC based PCC has shown better tracking performance when compared to the PID based PCC control strategy.
KeywordsParallel Cascade Control (PCC) Bioreactor Enhanced Model Reference Adaptive Control (E-MRAC) Model Reference Adaptive Control (MRAC) Smith predictor Fuzzy Logic Control (FLC) Dead time compensator (DTC) and PID controller
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Rao, A.S., Seethaladevi, S., Uma, S., Chidambaram, M.: Enhancing the performance of parallel cascade control using Smith Predictor. ISA Transactions (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Karthikeyan, R., Pahikkala, T., Virtanen, S., Isoaho, J., Manickavasagam, K., Murthy, K.V.V.: Fuzzy Logic Based Control for Parallel Cascade Control. ICGST-ACSE Journal 10(1), 39–48 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Saravanakumar, G., Wahidabanu, R.S.D., Nayak, C.G., Thirunavukkarasu: Design and analysis of modified smith predictors for self-regulating and non-self-regulating processes with dead time. Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers 50, 1–16 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Slotine, J.-J.E., Li, W.: Applied Linear Control. Prentice Hall, Eaglewood Cliffs (1991)Google Scholar
- 9.Vanavil, B., Uma, S., Seshagiri Rao, A.: Smith Predictor Based Parallel Cascade Control Strategy for Unstable Processes with Application to a Continuous Bioreactor. Chemical Product and Process Modelling 7(1) Article 10Google Scholar
- 10.Karthikeyan, R., Yadav, R.K., Tripathi, S., Hemanth Kumar, G.: Analyzing Large Dynamic Set-point change Tracking of MRAC by exploiting Fuzzy Logic based Automatic Gain Tuning. In: IEEE Control and System Graduate Research Colloquium, ICSGRC 2012 (2012)Google Scholar