Weighted Optimization of Various Parameters for Droplet Routing in Digital Microfluidic Biochips
Digital microfluidic biochip is often deployed for multiplexing several bioassays under optimized space and time constraints. Different parametric optimizations lead to performance enhancement and reusability of a biochip. In this paper, we propose an optimization algorithm to minimize three parameters simultaneously, named (i) Electrode usage, (ii) Latest arrival time, and (iii) Actuation pin assignment. A composite objective function has been designed and deployed at different instances with adjustable probabilistic weight factors (λ), to study the characteristic of routing schedules. Chosen parameters or objectives are minimized, leveraging the choice of weight factor at various runs, and dependency between the parameters are also studied. Shortest path based routing approach is adopted for optimal electrode usage and minimized routing completion time, and a graph coloring based on a dependency graph construction is navigated for optimal pin assignment. Experimental study of the proposed technique shows better result over some standard algorithms.
KeywordsDigital microfluidic biochip Droplet routing Multiple objectives Weighted objective function Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yang, C.L., Yuh, P.H., Sapatnekar, S., Chang, Y.W.: A progressive ILP based routing algo-rithm for cross-referencing biochips. In: Proc. of Design Automation Conference, pp. 284–289 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Xu, T., Chakrabarty, K.: Broadcast electrode-addressing for pin-constrained multi-functional digital microfluidic biochips. In: Proc. of Design Automation Conference, California, USA, pp. 173–178 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Lin, C.C.Y., Chang, Y.W.: ILP based pin-count aware design methodology for microfluidic biochips. In: Proc. of ACM Design Automation Conference 2009, San Francisco, pp. 258–263 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhao, Y., Chakraborty, K.: Co-optimization of droplet routing and pin assignment in dispos-able digital microfluidic biochips. In: Proc. of ACM/ IEEE International Symposium on Physical Design, California, pp. 69–76 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Pan, I., Samanta, T., Rahaman, H., Dasgupta, P.: Ant colony optimization based droplet routing technique in digital microfluidic biochip. In: Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Electronic System Design, pp. 223–229 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Mukherjee, R., Rahaman, H., Banerjee, I., Samanta, T., Dasgupta, P.: A heuristic method for co-optimization of pin assignment and droplet routing in digital microfluidic biochip. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on VLSI Design, pp. 227–232 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Pan, I., Samanta, T.: Efficient droplet router for digital microfluidic biochip using particle swarm optimizer. In: Proc. of SPIE International Conference on Communication and Electronics System Design, vol. 8760, pp. 87601Z-1 – 87601Z-10 (2013)Google Scholar