Off-Line Signature Verification Based on Principal Component Analysis and Multi-Layer Perceptrons
The off-line signature verification approach based on Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Muti-Layer Perceptrons (MLP) is proposed in this work. The proposed approach involves three major phases. In the first phase, the signature image is subjected to preprocessing, such as binarization, noise elimination, skew correction followed by normalising the image by a series of thinning and dilating with a structuring element of size 3X3. The principal component analysis is employed on the preprocessed signature samples and the features extracted are termed as eigen-sign feature vectors, in second phase. The multilayer perceptrons, a neural network based approach is trained with eigen-sign feature vector and subsequently used for verification of signature samples. Extensive experimentation has been conducted on the publicly available signature datasets namely, CEDAR, GPDS-100 and MUKOS, a regional language dataset. The state-of-art off-line signature verification methods are considered for comparative study and objective analysis through experimental results is provided to justify the accuracy of the proposed approach.
KeywordsPrincipal Component Analysis (PCA) eigen-sign Multi-layer perceptrons (MLP) Classification Off-line signature verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, S., Srihari, S.: Use of exterior contours and shape features in off-line signature verification. In: ICDAR, pp. 1280–1284 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Impedovo, D., Pirlo, G., Plamondon, R.: Handwritten signature verification: New advancements and open issues. In: International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, pp. 367–372. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Ismail, I.A., Ramadan, M.A., El-Danaf, T.S., Samak, A.H.: An efficient off line signature identification method based on fourier descriptor and chain codes. IJCSNS 10(5), 29 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Kisku, D.R., Gupta, P., Sing, J.K.: Fusion of multiple matchers using svm for offline signature identification. abs/1002.0416 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Kumar, R., Kundu, L., Chanda, B., Sharma, J.D.: A writer-independent off-line signature verification system based on signature morphology. In: First International Conference on Intelligent Interactive Technologies and Multimedia, pp. 261–265. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Malik, M.I., Liwicki, M., Dengel, A.: Evaluation of local and global features for offline signature verification. In: Proc. Int. Workshop on Automated Forensic Handwriting Analysis, Beijing, China, pp. 26–30 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Pal, S., Blumenstein, M., Pal, U.: Recognition Unit. Non-english and non-latin signature verification systems: a survey. In: Proc. of First International Workshop on Automated Forensic Handwriting Analysis, pp. 1–5 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Randhawa, M.K., Sharma, A.K., Sharma, R.K.: Off-line signature verification based on hu’s moment invatiants and zone features using support vector machine. International Journal of Latest Trens in Engineering and Technology 1, 16–23 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Shekar, B.H., Bharathi, R.K.: Eigen-signature: A robust and an efficient offline signature verification algorithm. In: International Conference on Recent Trends in Information Technology, pp. 134–138 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Shekar, B.H., Bharathi, R.K., Sharmilakumari, M.: Kernel eigen-signature: An offline signature verification technique based on kernel principal component analysis. In: Emerging Applications of Computer Vision, EACV 2011 Bilateral Russian-Indian Scientific Workshop, pp. 37–44 (November 2011)Google Scholar