Tombstone Technology: Deathscapes in Asia, the U.K. and the U.S.
This chapter examines QR codes and the impact of smartphone technology on tombstones and column bariums. It briefly surveys Human-Computer Interaction related to smartchip technology in the funeral industry in Japan, Korea, China, the United Kingdom and the United States. Then it examines how tombstone technology impacts the way people think about death and remember the dead, particularly in terms of religious expression.
KeywordsChinese Government Subway Station Virtual Memorial Quick Response Code Religious Expression
- Apple Press Info. (2012, December 17). iPhone 5 first weekend sales in China top two million. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/12/16iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-in-China-Top-Two-Million.html. Last accessed 13 Jan 2013.
- Be QRerious. http://beqrious.com/japan-tsunami-monuments-carry-qr-codes/. Last accessed 28 Jan 2013.
- Cann, C. (Forthcoming). Virtual memorials: Bereavement and the internet. In C. Staudt (Ed.), Our changing journey to the end: The new realities and controversies of dying in America. New York: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Cormier, J. (2011, March 10). QR code tombstone for the tech obsessed deceased. Forever Geek. http://www.forevergeek.com/2011/03/qr-code-tombstones-for-the-tech-obsessed-deceased/. Last accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- Hardacre, H. (1997). Marketing the menacing fetus in Japan. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Keferi, M. (2008, March 20). QR code graves give a “memorial window.” Digital Life. http://www.shifteast.com/qr-code-graves-give-a-memorial-window/. Last accessed 20 Dec 2012.
- Kurihara, J. (2012, December 15). A requiem service for broken needles-HariKuyou. Iromegane. http://www.iromegane.com/japan/culture/a-requiem-service-for-broken-needles-hari-kuyou/. Last accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- La Fleur, W. (1994). Liquid life: Abortion and Buddhism in Japan. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Lewis, C. S. (2002). The complete C.S. Lewis signature classics. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Lu, L. (2011, April 1). Virtual memorial. China Daily (European Weekly). http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2011-04/01/content_12262543.htm. Last accessed 20 Dec 2012.
- Mobile fringe. Mobile image recognition killed the QR code? Part 2 of 2” Mobilefringeblog. http://www.mobilefringe.com/mobile-insights/mobile-image-recognition-killed-the-qr-code/. Last accessed 30 Jan 2013.
- Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington. Cemeteries and cemetery administration. Last updated May, 2012. http://www.mrsc.org/subjects/parks/cemetery.aspx. Last accessed 13 Jan 2013.
- Niedenberg, N. (2012, October 25). QR codes link past with the present in Jefferson City cemetery. KBIA News. http://kbia.org/post/qr-codes-link-past-present-jefferson-city-cemetery. Last accessed 26 Jan 2013.
- Ong, T. (2013). Quirky ‘Dumb Ways to Die’ campaign sweeps advertising awards. Reuters. June 24, 2013. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/24/us-australia-advertising-die-idUSBRE95N03L20130624. Last accessed 29 June 2013.
- Otto, R. (1923). The idea of the holy (trans: Harvey, J. W., 2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1950 [Das Heilige, 1917].Google Scholar
- PC & Tech Authority. (2012, April 26). 5 of the best Quirky QR codes. http://www.pcauthority.com.au/news/298365,5-of-the-best-quirky-qr-codes.aspx. Last accessed 25 Jan 2013.
- Podium Ventures. (2012). East Asia ahead of the curve on QR code awareness. Last modified May 1. http://www.podiumventures.com/blog/19-ventures/386-east-asia-ahead-of-the-curve-on-qr-code-awareness-east-asia-ahead-of-the-curve-on-qr-code-awareness. Last accessed 25 Jan 2013.
- Public Service CO. UK. (2012, November 9). War graves cemetery uses QR smartphone codes. http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=21395. Last accessed 10 Dec 2102.
- Ran, Y. (2011, March 28). Wasted space in cemeteries inspires newmini-burials. China Daily. http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/201103/28/content_12238547.htm. Last accessed 25 Jan 2013.
- Rugg, J. The Cemetery Research Group: Frequently asked questions. http://www.york.ac.uk/chp/crg/crgcontext.htm#owns. Last accessed 20 Jan 2013.
- Satoyama Experience. Mushi-Kuyou; memorial service for the insects. http://www.satoyama-experience.com/event/Mushi-kuyou.html Last accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- Sohu IT. (2012, November 19). Alipay to facilitate taxi fare payment. Marbridge Daily. http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2011/09/06/how-chuseok-is-changing/. Last accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- Weitzman, M. (2011, December 23). First Japan tsunami monument has QR code video and advice. http://digitaljournal.com/article/316636. Last accessed 28 Jan 2013.
- Woo, J. (2011, September 6). How Chuseok is changing. Wall Street Journal. http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2011/09/06/how-chuseok-is-changing/. Last accessed 22 Jan 2013.
- Ying, G. (2013, February 2). QR codes making inroads into China. XinHua News. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-02/02/c_132147080.htm. Last accessed 02 Feb 2013.