A Scalable Distributed Architecture for Emulating Unreliable Networks for Testing Multimedia Systems
This paper presents a software-based approach to emulating unreliable WAN networks in a LAN environment, without interfering in the configuration of the latter. A program must only be installed on all computers which host a multimedia system to be tested, which intercepts outgoing packets and forwards them to an emulation proxy, where, in accordance with a connection model, they are rejected or delayed before being submitted to the destination computer. The proxy collects packet header data, supplemented with timestamps, and sends them to a warehouse server which stores the report about the network traffic of the tested application. By analyzing such reports and observing how programs react to packet losses and delays, multimedia systems can be evaluated for correctness, performance, and tolerance to network failures. Using the Java and C programming languages, a prototype of such an emulation architecture has been implemented together with GUI-based tools for modeling connections, supervising experiments, and analyzing traffic reports.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chou, P.A., van der Schaar, M.: Multimedia over IP and wireless networks: compression, networking, and systems. Elsevier/Academic Press, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 2.Blum, R.: Network Performance Open Source Toolkit: Using Netperf, tcptrace, NIST Net, and SSFNet. Wiley, Indianapolis (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Nussbaum, L., Richard, O.: A comparative study of network link emulators. In: Proc. 12th Communications and Networking Simulation Symp. (CNS)/Spring Simulation Multiconference (SpringSim), San Diego, CA (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Landsiedel, O., Kunz, G., Götz, S., Wehrle, K.: A virtual platform for network experimentation. In: Proc. 1st ACM Workshop on Virtualized Infrastructure Systems and Architectures (VISA), New York, NY, pp. 45–52 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Kalita, H., Nambiar, M.: Designing WANEM: A wide area network emulator tool. In: Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), Bangalore, India, pp. 1–4 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Zheng, P., Ni, L.: Experiences in building a scalable distributed network emulation system. In: Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), Taiwan, China, pp. 189–194 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Alsaeed, M., Speirs, N.: A wide area network emulator for CORBA applications. In: Proc. 10th IEEE Int. Symp. Object and Component-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), Santorini Island, Greece, pp. 359–364 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mills, D.: Computer network time synchronization: the Network Time Protocol. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2006)Google Scholar