Smartphone Traffic Review
Because of rapidly growing subscriber populations, advances in cellular communication technology, increasingly capable user terminals, and the expanding range of mobile applications, cellular networks have experienced a significant increase in data traffic. Smartphone traffic contributes a considerable amount to Internet traffic. The increasing popularity of smartphones in recent reports suggests that smartphone traffic has been growing 10 times faster than traffic generated from fixed networks. Understanding the characteristics of this traffic is important for network design, traffic modeling, resource planning and network control. This paper presents an overview of the methodology for collecting data using smartphone logging and discusses traffic characteristics from some recent researches. The main goal is to explore some important issues related to smartphone traffic in order to prepare for further, deeper analysis.
Keywordsmobile traffic measurement comparison
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Smartphone Sales Overtake PCs for the First Time [STUDY], http://mashable.com/2012/02/03/smartphone-sales-overtake-pcs/
- 2.When Will Tablet Shipments Overtake PCs? http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2013/02/when-will-tablet-shipments-overtake-pcs.html
- 3.Kaisar, S.: Smartphone traffic characteristics and context dependencies, PhD Thesis, University of Saskatchewan, Canada (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Tossell, C.C., Kortum, P., Shepard, C.W., Rahmati, A., Zhong, L.: Getting Real: A Naturalistic Methodology for Using Smartphones to Collect Mediated Communications. Advances in Human-Computer Interaction (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Falaki, H., Mahajan, R., Kandula, S., Lymberopoulos, D., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Diversity in smartphone usage. In: Proceedings ofthe 8th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services, pp. 179–194. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Falaki, H., Lymberopoulos, D., Mahajan, R., Kandula, S., Estrin, D.: A First Look at Traffic on Smartphones. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 281–287. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Bal, G.: Revealing Privacy-Impacting Behavior Patterns of Smartphone Applications, Mobile Security Technologies (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Xu, Q., Erman, J., Gerber, A., Mao, Z., Pang, J., Venkataraman, S.: Identifying diverse usage behaviors of smartphone apps. In: Proceedings of 2011 ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 329–344. ACM (2011)Google Scholar