A New RBFNDDA-KNN Network and Its Application to Medical Pattern Classification
In this paper, a new variant of the Radial Basis Function Network with the Dynamic Decay Adjustment algorithm (i.e., RBFNDDA) is introduced for undertaking pattern classification problems with noisy data. The RBFNDDA network is integrated with the k-nearest neighbours algorithm to form the proposed RBFNDDA-KNN model. Given a set of labelled data samples, the RBFNDDA network undergoes a constructive learning algorithm that exhibits a greedy insertion behaviour. As a result, many prototypes (hidden neurons) that represent small (with respect to a threshold) clusters of labelled data are introduced in the hidden layer. This results in a large network size. Such small prototypes can be caused by noisy data, or they can be valid representatives of small clusters of labelled data. The KNN algorithm is used to identify small prototypes that exist in the vicinity (with respect to a distance metric) of the majority of large prototypes from different classes. These small prototypes are treated as noise, and are, therefore, pruned from the network. To evaluate the effectiveness of RBFNDDA-KNN, a series of experiments using pattern classification problems in the medical domain is conducted. Benchmark and real medical data sets are experimented, and the results are compared, analysed, and discussed. The outcomes show that RBFNDDA-KNN is able to learn information with a compact network structure and to produce fast and accurate classification results.
KeywordsRadial basis function neural network Nearest neighbour Pattern classification
- 1.Lee, J., Steele, C.M., Chau, T.: Classification of healthy and abnormal swallows based on accelerometry and nasal airflow signals. AI Med. 52, 17–25 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Yu, J.-b., Xi., L.-f.: A neural network ensemble-based model for on-line monitoring and diagnosis of out-of-control signals in multivariate manufacturing processes. Expert Syst. Appl. 36, 909–921 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Kazemi, M.V., Moradi, M., Kazemi, R.V.: Minimization of powers ripple of direct power controlled DFIG by fuzzy controller and improved discrete space vector modulation. Expert Syst. Appl. 89, 23–30 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Dasarathy, B.V.: Nearest neighbor (NN) norms: NN pattern classification techniques. A generalized knearest neighbor rule, pp. 64–84. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1991)Google Scholar
- 15.Asuncion, A., Newman, D.J.: UCI machine learning repository. University of California, School of Information and Computer Science, Irvine. [http://www.ics.uci.edu/\(\sim \)mlearn/MLRepository.html] (2007)Google Scholar