Face Recognition Using Convolutional Neural Network and Simple Logistic Classifier
In this paper, a hybrid system is presented in which a convolutional neural network (CNN) and a Logistic regression classifier (LRC) are combined. A CNN is trained to detect and recognize face images, and a LRC is used to classify the features learned by the convolutional network. Applying feature extraction using CNN to normalized data causes the system to cope with faces subject to pose and lighting variations. LRC which is a discriminative classifier is used to classify the extracted features of face images. Discriminant analysis is more efficient when the normality assumptions are satisfied. The comprehensive experiments completed on Yale face database shows improved classification rates in smaller amount of time.
KeywordsConvolutional Neural Network (CNN) Logistic regression classifier (LRC) Machine learning algorithms Back-propagation and Face Recognition.
- 1.Lo, S.B., Li, H., Wang, Y., Kinnard, L., Freedman, M.T.: A multiple circular path convolution neural network system for detection of mammographic masses. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 150–158 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Hu, Y.H., Hwang, J.: Handbook of neural network signal processing. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Gepperth, A.: Object detection and feature base learning by sparse convolutional neural networks. In: Lecture notes in artificial intelligence 4807, Springer Verlag Berlin, 221–231 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bouchain, D.: Character Recognition Using Convolutional Neural Networks. In: Seminar Statistical Learning Theory, University of Ulm, Germany (2006/2007)Google Scholar
- 5.LeCun, Y., Bottou, L., Bengio, Y., Haffner, P.: Gradient-based learning applied to document recognition. In: Proceedings of the IEEE. vol. 86, pp. 2278–2324 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Ahranjany, S.S., Razzazi, F., Ghassemian, M.H.: A very high accuracy handwritten character recognition system for Farsi/Arabic digits using Convolutional Neural Networks. In: IEEE Fifth International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing, Theories and Applications (BIC-TA) pp. 1585–1592 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Lawrence, S., Giles, C.L., Tsoi, A.C., Back, A.D.: Face recognition: a convolutional neural network approach. In: IEEE Trans. Neural Networks 98–113 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Palei, S.K., Das, S.K.: Logistic regression model for prediction of roof fall risks in bord and pillar workings in coal mines: An approach. Saf. Sci. (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Mitchell, T.M.: Generative and discriminative classifiers: naive bayes and logistic regression. Machine Learning (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.LeCun, Y., Huang, F.-J.: Large-scale learning with SVM and convolutional nets for generic object categorization. In: Proceedings of the Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference (CVPR’06). IEEE Press, Salt Lake City (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Yale face database, http://cvc.yale.edu/projects/yalefaces/yalefaces.html
- 12.Lyons, M., Akamatsu, S., Kamachi, M., Gyoba, J.: Coding facial expressions with gabor wavelets. In: Third IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition pp. 200–205 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Fasel, B.: Robust face analysis using convolutional neural networks. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 40–43 (2002)Google Scholar