Speeding Up Phylogenetic Model Checking
Model checking is a generic and formal technique that the authors have proposed for the study of properties that emerge from the biological labeling of the states defined over the phylogenetic tree  . This strategy allows us to use generic software tools already present in the industry. However, the performance of traditional model checking is penalized when scaling the system for large phylogenies. To this end, two strategies are presented here. The first one consists of partitioning the phylogenetic tree into a set of related subproblems so as to speed up the computation time and distribute the memory consumption. The second strategy is based on uncoupling the information associated to each state of the phylogenetic tree (mainly, the DNA sequence) and exporting it to an external tool for the management of large information systems. The integration of all these approaches outperformed the results of monolithic model checking and helped us to execute the verification of properties in a real phylogenetic tree.
Keywordsdistributed and sliced model checking database phylogenetic property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Benson, D.A., Karsch-Mizrachi, I., Clark, K., Lipman, D.J., Ostell, J., Sayers, E.W.: GenBank. Nucleic Acids Reseach 40, D48–D53 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Blanco, R., de Miguel Casado, G., Requeno, J.I., Colom, J.M.: Temporal logics for phylogenetic analysis via model checking. In: 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops, pp. 152–157. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Boukala, M.C., Petrucci, L.: Distributed CTL Model-Checking and counterexample search. In: 3rd Int. Workshop on Verification and Evaluation of Computer and Communication Systems (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Mangalam, H.: The Bio* toolkits a brief overview. Brief Bioinform. 3(3), 296–302 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Requeno, J.I., Blanco, R., de Miguel Casado, G., Colom, J.M.: Sliced Model Checking for Phylogenetic Analysis. In: Rocha, M.P., Luscombe, N., Fdez-Riverola, F., Corchado Rodríguez, J.M. (eds.) 6th International Conference on PACBB. AISC, vol. 154, pp. 95–104. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shegalov, G.: CTL Model Checking in Database Cloud. Unpublished version paper (2011)Google Scholar