TANGO:H: Creating Active Educational Games for Hospitalized Children
This paper presents an interactive platform called TANGO:H (Tangible Goals: Health) for the creation of social active play with gestural interaction. This platform has been specially designed and adapted for its recreational, educational and rehabilitation use in children at hospital. The platform has a game editor called TANGO:H Designer, which allows the creation of physical and cognitive exercises in single and multiplayer, so that children can play sequentially or simultaneously both competitively and collaboratively. Similarly, the design of the platform was taken into account various criteria of playability and gamification to maximize the user experience with the game. This article presents the requirements that have been followed in the design of Tango-H, and the developed solution.
KeywordsExergames Serious Games Rehabilitation Gamification Kinect OpenNI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alankus, G., Lazar, A., May, M., Kelleher, C.: Towards customizable games for stroke rehabilitation. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Human factors in Computing Systems, pp. 2113–2122. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Cameirao, M., Bermudez, I., Duarte, O., Verschure, P.: The rehabilitation gaming system: a review. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 145, 65 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.González, C.: Student Usability in Educational Software and Games: Improving Experiences. Advances in Game-Based Learning (AGBL) Book Series. IGI Global (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Gonzalez, C., Toledo, P., Alayon, S., Munoz, V., Meneses, D.: Using Information and Communication Technologies in Hospital Classrooms: SAVEH Project. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal (KM&EL) 3(1) (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Hutzler, Y., Sherril, C.: Defining adapted physical activity: internacional perspectives. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly 24(1), 1–20 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Nicholson, S.: A User-Centered Theoretical Framework for Meaningful Gamification. In: Proceedings GLS 8.0 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Zichermann, G., Cunningham, C.: Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps. Sebastopol. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2011)Google Scholar