Using 3D Virtual Agents to Improve the Autonomy and Quality of Life of Elderly People
Nowadays, the percentage of elderly people is increasing, especially in developed countries. Technological products can be used to propel a cohesive and inclusive inter-generational society, although they should be adapted to satisfy the needs and preferences of elderly people. In this paper, we present 3D virtual agents as a promising system to improve the autonomy and Quality of Life (QoL) of elderly people, as they are technological systems that look and act like a person, thanks to the use of speech recognition and voice communication, and they can facilitate users’ everyday life. In this work, the connection between a virtual agent with a SQL database engine allows our agent to be connected to the health center, thus being able to assist users in their daily intake of medication.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baldassarri, S., Cerezo, E.: Maxine: Embodied conversational agents for multimodal affective communication. In: Mukai, N. (ed.) Computer Graphics, ch. 11. In Tech Open-Access Publishing (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Brown, J., Bowling, A., Flynn, T.: Models of Quality of Life: A Taxonomy, Overview and Systematic Review of the Literature. Technical report (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Cassell, J., Sullivan, J., Prevost, S., Churchill, E.F.: Embodied conversational agents. MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Eurostat. The life of women and men in Europe - a statistical portrait (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Fiol-Roig, G.: Intelligent agent for home assistance. In: Proceedings of The Eleventh IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (ASC 2007), Anaheim, CA, USA, pp. 102–107 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Garrido, P., Martinez, F.J., Guetl, C., Plaza, I.: Enhancing intelligent pedagogical agents in virtual worlds. In: Workshop on Virtual Worlds for Academic, Organizational, and Life-long Learning (ViWo 2010), held with ICCE, Putrajaya, Malaysia (November 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Long, B.: Speech synthesis and speech recognition using SAPI 5.1. In: Delphi Developers Conference (DCon 2002), Reading, England (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Rubio, M., Plaza, I., Hernanz, C.: Autonomía y Calidad de Vida de los Mayores en el Maestrazgo. D.L. TE-21/2011. Aragón Vivo, Artes Gráficas (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Sasaki, J., Yamada, K., Tanaka, M., Funyu, Y.: An experiment of life-support network for elderly people living in a rural area. International Journal of Systems Applications Engineering & Development 1(4), 120–124 (2010)Google Scholar