Stator Faults Detection and Diagnosis in Reactor Coolant Pump Using Kohonen Self-organizing Map
Nuclear power industries have increasing interest in using fault detection and diagnosis (FDD) methods to improve availability, reliability, and safety of nuclear power plants (NPP). In this paper, a procedure for stator fault detection and severity evaluation on reactor coolant pump (RCP) driven by induction motor is presented. Fault detection system is performed using unsupervised artificial neural networks: the so-called Self-Organizing Maps (SOM). Induction motor stator currents are measured, recorded, and used for feature extraction using Park transform, Zero crossing times signal, and the envelope, then statistical features are calculated from each signal which serves for feeding the neural network, in order to perform the fault diagnosis. This network is trained and validated on experimental data gathered from a three-phase squirrelcage induction motor. It is demonstrated that the strategy is able to correctly identify the stator fault and safe cases. The system is also able to estimate the extent of the stator faults.
KeywordsSelf-Organizing Map Reactor coolant Pump Fault Detection and diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aboubou, A., Sahraoui, M., Ghougal, A., Zouzou, S.E.: Analyse du contenu spectral de la tension de neutre de la machine asynchrone en vue de son diagnostic. Courrier du Savoir – N°06, pp.95–102 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Bossio, J.M., De Angelo, C.H., Bossio, G.R., García, G.O.: Fault Diagnosis on Induction Motors Using Self-Organizing Maps. In: 9th IEEE/IAS International Conference on Industry Applications, INDUSCON 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Aroui, T., Koubaa, Y., Toumi, A.: Clustering of the Self-Organizing Map based Approach in Induction Machine Rotor Faults Diagnostics. Leonardo Journal of Sciences, 1–14 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Vesanto, J., Himberg, J., Alhoniemi, E., Parhankangas, J.: Self-organizing map in Matlab: the SOM Toolbox. In: Proceedings of the Matlab DSP Conference 1999, Espoo, Finland, November 16-17, pp. 35–40 (1999), http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/somtoolbox
- 13.Cardoso, A.J.M., Cruz, S.M.A., Fonseca, D.S.B.: Inter-Turn Stator Winding Fault Diagnosis in Three-phase Induction Motors, by Park’s Vector Approach. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 14(3) (September 1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Arabacı, H., Bilgin, O.: Detection of Rotor Bar Faults by Using Stator Current Envelope. In: Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, WCE 2011, London, U.K., July 6 - 8, vol. II (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.da Silva, A.M.: Induction motor fault diagnostic and monitoring methods. A Master Thesis, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (May 2006)Google Scholar