An Efficient Palmprint Identification System Using Multispectral and Hyperspectral Imaging
Ensuring the security of individuals is becoming an increasingly important problem in a variety of applications. Biometrics technology that relies on the physical and/or behavior human characteristics is capable of providing the necessary security over the standard forms of identification. Palmprint recognition is a relatively new one. Almost all the current palmprint-recognition systems are mainly based on image captured under visible light. However, multispectral and hyperspectral imaging have been recently used to improve the performance of palmprint identification. In this paper, the MultiSpectral Palmprint (MSP) and HyperSpectral Palmprint (HSP) are integrated in order to construct an efficient multimodal biometric system. The observation vector is based on Principal Components Analysis (PCA). Subsequently, HiddenMarkov Model (HMM) is used for modeling this vector. The proposed scheme is tested and evaluated using 350 users. Our experimental results show the effectiveness and reliability of the proposed system, which brings high identification accuracy rate.
KeywordsBiometrics Palmprint MSP HSP PCA HMM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wayman, J., Jain, A., Maltoni, D., Maio, D.: Biometric Systems, Technology, Design and Performance Evaluation. Springer, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, D., Guo, Z., Lu, G., Zhang, L., Zuo, W.: An Online System of Multispectral Palmprint Verification. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 59(2) (February 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Guo, Z., Zhang, D., Zhang, L., Liu, W.: Feature Band Selection for Online Multispectral Palmprint Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 7(3) (June 2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Viterbi, A.J.: A Personal History of the Viterbi Algorithm. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 120–142 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Jain, A.K., Ross, A.: Learning User-Specific Parameters in a Multibiometric System. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Rochester, NY, pp. 57–60 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.PolyU Database, http://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~biometrics/
- 12.Uguz, H., Arslan, A., Turkoglu, I.: A biomedical system based on hidden Markov model for diagnosis of the heart valve diseases. Pattern Recognition Letters 28, 395–404Google Scholar
- 14.Meraoumia, A., Chitroub, S., Ahmed, B.: Gaussian Modeling And Discrete Cosine Transform For Efficient And Automatic Palmprint Identification. In: IEEE International Conference on Machine and Web Intelligence-ICMWI, USTHB, Algiers, pp. 121–125 (2010)Google Scholar