A Pragmatic and Scalable Solution for Free Riding Problem in Peer to Peer Networks
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) systems are increasingly popular as an alternative to the traditional client-server model for many applications, particularly file sharing. Free-riding is one of the most serious problems encountered in Peer-to-peer (P2P) systems like BitTorrent.
Free riding is a serious problem in P2P networks for both Internet service providers (ISPs) and users. To users, the response time of query increases significantly because a few altruistic peers have to handle too many requests. In P2P file sharing systems, free-riders who use others’ resources without sharing their own cause system-wide performance degradation. Therefore, the rational P2P application developers should develop some anti-free riding measures to deal with it.
In this paper, we propose a pragmatic and scalable peer to peer scheme based on a utility function that uses two parameters: collaboration of peers and detection of tentative of free riders. Performance evaluation of the proposed solution shows that results are globally satisfactory.
KeywordsFree riding Free rider Peer-to-Peer (P2P) network Utility function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adar, E., Huberman, B.A.: Free Riding on Gnutella. First Monday 5(10) (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Ham, M., Agha, G.: ARA: A Robust Audit to Prevent Free-Riding in P2P Networks. In: 5th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Karakaya, M., Korpeoglu, I., Ulusoy, Ö.: A Distributed and Measurement-based Framework Against Free Riding in Peer-to-Peer Networks. In: Peer-to-Peer Computing, pp. 276–277 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Mol, J.J.D., Pouwelse, J.A., Epema, D.H.J., Sips, H.J.: Free-riding, Fairness, and Firewalls in P2P File-Sharing. In: Eighth International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Mol, J.J.D., Pouwelse, J.A., Meulpolder, M., Epema, D.H.J., Sips, H.J.: Give-to-Get: An Algorithm for P2P Video-on-Demand. In: Proc. SPIE 6818 Multimedia Computing and Networking (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Qin, F., Ge, L., Liu, Q., Liu, J.: Free Riding Analysis of Peer-to-Peer Streaming Systems. Journal of Computational Information Systems 7(3), 721–728 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Rahman, M.R.: A Survey of Incentive Mechanisms in Peer-to-Peer Systems. Technical Report CS-2009-22, University of WaterlooGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ramaswamy, L., Liu, L.: Free Riding: A New Challenge to Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems. In: HICSS (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Shin, K., Reeves, D.S., Rhee, I.: Treat-Before-Trick: Free-riding Prevention for BitTorrent-like Peer-to-Peer Networks. In: The 2009 IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2009), pp. 1–12 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Sirivianos, M., Park, J.H., Chen, R., Yang, X.: Free-riding in BitTorrent Networks with the Large View Exploit. In: IPTPS (2007)Google Scholar