Improving Wireless Sensor Networks Robustness through Multi-level Fault Tolerant Routing Protocol
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) are now commonly admitted as a promising networking paradigm bringing huge benefits in industrial and socio-economical domains. However, although the applications dedicated to WSNs are in constant increase and research activities are intensely carried on, WSNs remain hindered by some weaknesses and lacks preventing them to reach their full maturity. These lacks may be seen even in basic WSN services like data routing in which energy optimization, data security, fault tolerant nodes, etc, have to be improved. So, we are dealing with the fault tolerance issue of routing protocols in order to dependably ensure data forwarding from nodes to sink. This is indispensable for a WSN to successfully accomplish its mission.
In this paper, we propose an energy economical and Fault Tolerant Multilevel Routing Protocol, borrowing idea from the well known TEEN and LEACH protocols. Simulation results via NS2 simulator showed convincing and interesting protocol performances.
KeywordsWSN Multi-level clustering Fault tolerance Energy Saving Routing protocols
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gupta, G.: Fault-tolerant clustering of wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE international Conference on Wireless Communications and Networking, WCNC 2003, March 20, pp. 1579–1584. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Aliouat, Z., Aliouat, M.: Effective Energy Management in Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE/IFIP 5th International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS), Istanbul Turkey, pp. 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences, Maui, HI, USA, January 4-7, pp. 10–19 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Manjeshwar, E., Agrawal, D.P.: TEEN: A Routing Protocol for Enhanced Efficiency in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), San Francisco, CA, USA, April 23-27, pp. 2009–2015 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Xinfang, Y., Jiangtao, X., Chicharo, J.F., Yanguang, Y.: An Energy-Aware Multilevel Clustering algorithm for wireless sensor networks. Proc. of Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing 15(18), 387–392 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Rasid, M.F.A., Abdullah, R.S.A.R., Ghazvini, M.H.F., Vahabi, M.: Energy Optimization with Multi-level Clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: The Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Wireless and Optical Communications Networks, pp. 1–5 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Aliouat, M., Aliouat, Z., Naidja, M.: Adaptative Nodes Diagnosis and Recovery for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE, Symposium on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, December 3-4 (2012)Google Scholar