Promoting Digital Skills and Critical Awareness through Online Search and Personal Knowledge Management: A Case Study
In the knowledge society the processes of learning and knowledge management take place, very often, online and in social online environments, thus creating issues of complexity and sustainability related to cognitive processes of learning that students - even at university level - are not always able to recognize and cope with. In this paper we present a research case study carried out at the University of Udine with a group of first year students of Multimedia Communication and Technology during the course of English language (Englishes and Media Communication in a World Context). The aim of the research was to determine whether specific activities can enhance the development of skills for lifelong learning, such as the ability to search the Internet and use online resources to promote continuous education and learning to learn. Quantitative and qualitative data were gathered within a framework of Personal Knowledge Management and the results are guidelines potentially useful both for teachers and learners.
KeywordsPKM (Personal Knowledge Management) Research and information management using online media and tools Management of online presence Effective teaching techniques and strategies for learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Selwyn, N.: Social media in higher education. In: The Europe World of Learning 2012, 62th edn. Routledge, London (2011), http://www.educationarena.com/pdf/sample/sample-essay-selwyn.pdf (verified on January 10, 2013)
- 5.Ala-Mutka, K.: Mapping Digital Competence: Towards a Conceptual Under-standing. Sevilla: Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (2011), http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC67075_TN.pdf (verified on January 10, 2013)
- 6.Ananiadou, K., Claro, M.: 21st Century Skills and Competences for New Millennium Learners in OECD Countries. OECD Education Working Papers, 41 (2009) Google Scholar
- 9.Cigognini, E.: PKM – Personal Knowledge Management: cosa vuol dire essere una persona istruita nel XXI secolo? Formare 66 (2010), http://formare.erickson.it/wordpress/it/2010/pkm-personal-knowledge-management-cosa-vuol-dire-essere-una-persona-istruita-nel-xxi-secolo/ (verified on January 10, 2013)
- 10.Cinque, M.: Reti di apprendimento e gestione autoregolata della conoscenza. Utilizzo di modelli di social computing per l’acquisizione di competenze metacognitive e creative nel lifelong learning. PhD Thesis – University of Udine (2013) Google Scholar
- 12.Nordenstrom, J.: L’EBM sulle orme di Sherlock Holmes. Il Pensiero Scientifico Editore, Roma (2008)Google Scholar