Representing Motion Patterns with the Qualitative Rectilinear Projection Calculus
The Qualitative Rectilinear Projection Calculus (QRPC) is a novel representation model for describing qualitatively motion patterns of two objects through the possible relationships among the rectilinear projection of their trajectories. The paper introduces the key issues of the model (i) the set of geometric relations defined in terms of the front-back and left-right dichotomies, (ii) how it can be possible enumerate an exhaustive set of qualitative states by the composition of these relations and (iii) the possible transitions among states based on the notion of conceptual neighborhood. The representational ability of the model is illustrated by an example extracted from the traffic engineering field where the relative motion of two objects is analyzed and described in terms of the QRPC-states.
KeywordsQualitative representation model Motion pattern Qualitative Spatial Reasoning Cognitive Modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lücke, D., Mossakowski, T., Moratz, R.: Streets to the OPRA - Finding your destination with imprecise knowledge. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Benchmarks and Applications of Spatial Reasoning at IJCAI 2011, pp. 25–32 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Glez-Cabrera, F.J., Álvarez-Bravo, J.V., Díaz, F.: A new qualitative model for representing motion patterns. Expert Syst. Appl. (in press, 2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Gottfried, B.: Reasoning about intervals in two dimensions. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 5324–5332. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Moratz, R.: Representing Relative Direction as a Binary Relation of Oriented Points. In: Brewka, G., Coradeschi, S., Perini, A., Traverso, P. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2006 Conference on ECAI 2006: 17th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 407–411. IOS Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Frommberger, L., Lee, J.H., Wallgrün, J.O., Dylla, F.: Composition in OPRAm - Technical Report No. 013-02/2007 (2007)Google Scholar