Modeling and Simulation of a Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
This paper aims to demonstrate a design of low-cost, and Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) based autopilot that is ArduPilot, and its applications. ArduPilot’s control algorithm possesses two control loops, which are used to control the navigation and the control surfaces such as actuators. Due to using PID control and being able to tune and update the PID parameters (Kp, Ki, Kd) even during the flight, ArduPilot becomes very efficient autopilot also. It’s also possible to export and analyze the data such as airspeed, air pressure, latitude-longitude-altitude, roll-pitch-yaw angles, accelerometer-gyro information, servo outputs, and moreover on Matlab®, after or during the flight. In order to go one step further, a model aircraft, which has nearly the same physical parameters as the one used for the real tests, designed on Plane Maker®, and simulated on Xplane® simulator. Using the simulator made this study easy to tune and test the whole flight parameters before real flight. This paper will lead the students who are interested in automatic control applications especially Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV).
KeywordsUAV ArduPilot automatic control systems PID control IMU direction cosine matrix Xplane®
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rachman, E., Razali, R.: A Mathematical Modeling For Design and Development of Control Laws for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). International Journal of Applied Science and Technology 1(4), 66–75 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Noura, H., Bateman, F.: Control of an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. In: Proceeding of the 7th International Symposium on Mechatronics and its Applications (ISMA 2010), Sharjah, UAE, April 20-22, pp. 1–6 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Mueller, E.R.: Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation Design for Evaluation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Control Systems. In: AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference and Exhibit, Hilton Head, South Carolina, pp. 6539–6553 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Abdunabi, T.A.M., El-Gelani, M., Nasr, N.: Modeling and Autonomous Flight Simulation of a small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. In: 13th International Conference on Aerospace Sciences & Aviation Technology, ASAT-13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Jung, D., Tsiotras, P.: Modelling and Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for a Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. In: AIAA Infotech at Aerospace, Rohnert Park, CA, AIAA Paper 07-2768, May 7-10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Wul, J., Wang, W., Zhang, J., Wang, B.: Research of a kind of New UAV Training Simulator Based on Equipment Simulation. In: 2011 International Conference on Electronic & Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology, pp. 4912–4815 (August 2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Santos, S.R.B., Oliviera, N.M.F.: Test Platform to Pitch Angle using Hardware in Loop. In: 39th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, San Antonio, TX, W1J1–W1J5 (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Jin, G.-D., Gu, L.X., Lu, L.-B.: UAV Simulator-Based Simulation of Flight Control System. In: Intelligent Systems and Applications, ISA 2009, pp. 1–4 (2009)Google Scholar