Virtual Transmitting-Receiving Beamforming Approach to Achieving Narrower Mainlobe for MIMO Radar by Tapering
An innovative approach is introduced to form narrower mainlobe of virtual transmitting-receiving beamforming by transmitting orthogonal coding waveforms from the antenna elements and digitally processing of their echoes at the receiver. The benefits such as increased angle resolution and increased Doppler resolution of MIMO radar mainly depend on the sparse arrays without the adverse effects of sidelobes. However, due to the actual limitation, such as room limitation for airborne, cost or other factors, we have to set the array in dense arrays configuration. With the proposed amplitude taper approach, a narrower main beam can be achieved with dense arrays configuration after virtual transmitting-receiving beamforming which can improve the performance of detecting slow moving target. The signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) loss of tapering is also discussed.
KeywordsMIMO radar Narrower mainlobe Beamforming
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers and the associate editor for the insightful comments and suggestions. This work was supported partly by the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation under Contract number 2012M520077, and by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of China under Contract number ZYGX2012J018.
- 1.Bliss DW, Forsythe KW (2003) Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar and imaging: degrees of freedom and resolution. Proc Asilom Conf Signal Syst Comput 1:54–59Google Scholar
- 2.Forsythe KW, Bliss DW (2005) Waveform correlation and optimization issues for MIMO radar. Proc Asilom Conf Signal Syst Comput 1:1306–1310Google Scholar
- 3.Rabideau DJ, Parker P (2003) Ubiquitous MIMO multifunction digital array radar. Proc Asilom Conf Signal Syst Comput 1:1057–1064Google Scholar
- 6.Chun-Yang Chen, Vaidyanathan PP (2006) Beamforming issues in modern MIMO Radars with Doppler. Signals, Systems and Computers, 2006. ACSSC ‘06, pp: 41–45.Google Scholar
- 7.Forsythe KW, Bliss DW (2009) MIMO radar: concepts, performance enhancements, and applications. In: Li J, Stoica P (eds) MIMO radar signal processing. Wiley, New York, NYGoogle Scholar