Intellectual Capital: The World’s Fastest Growing Asset Class
Economic growth and competitiveness is highly dependent on productivity. One of the most commonly used measures of productivity is Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per hour worked. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the US ranked third in labor productivity worldwide in 2011 (Fig. 3.1) and similarly in GDP per capita (Fig. 3.2), a basic indicator of a country’s economic vitality.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Corporate Governance Total Factor Productivity Initial Public Offering Intellectual Capital
- Abdih Y, Joutz F. Relating the knowledge production function to total factor productivity: An endogenous growth puzzle. IMF Working Paper. pp. 1–40, http://ssrn.com/abstract=888120, http://home.gwu.edu/~bmark/Abdih-Joutz-Text-Flood.pdf (2005). Accessed 5 Mar 2012.
- Beckworth D. The great stagnation and total factor productivity. http://macromarketmusings.blogspot.com/2011/02/great-stagnation-and-total-factor.html (2011). Accessed 12 Jan 2012. Constructed from data from John Fernald (San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank).
- Cantor E. http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2011/dec/30/eric-cantor/cantor-says-small-businesses-create-70-percent-us (2011). Accessed 29 Jan 2012.
- Chu A. Economic growth and patent policy: Quantifying the effects of patent length on R&D and consumption. University of Michigan, October 2007, MPRA Paper No. 5476, posted 07. November (2007). Accessed 6 Mar 2012.Google Scholar
- Comin D, Hobijn B. Technology diffusion and post-war growth, HBS, working paper 11–027, 2010.Google Scholar
- Comin D. Total factor productivity. 2nd ed. In: Durlauf S, Blume L, editor. The new palgrave dictionary of economics. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan; 2008.Google Scholar
- Comin, D, Mulani S. A theory of growth and volatility at the aggregate and firm level. National Bureau of Economic Research working paper No. 11503, 2005. Google Scholar
- Law, M. T., Productivity and Economic Performance: An overview of the Issues, Public Policy Sources, No. 37. 2000. Accessed 12 Jan 2012. http://www.afroarticles.com/article-dashboard/Article/The-Global-Productivity-Trends-and-the-Changing-World-Economic-Order/199319 Accessed 3 Mar 2012.
- Levensohn P. http://www.pascalsview.com/pascalsview/2010/08/connecting-the-dots-how-new-job-creation-ipo%E2%80%99s-and-venture-capital-in-america-are-intimately-linked.html (2010). Accessed 4 Mar 2012.
- Merrill P, Shanahan J, Gomez J, Glon G, Grocott P, Lamers A, MacDougall D, Macovei A, Montredon R, Vanwelkenhuyzan T, Cernat A, Merriman S, Moore R, Muresan G, Van Den Berghe P, Linczer A. Is it time for the United States to Consider the Patent Box? Tax Notes, 26 Mar 2012, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLC. 2012.Google Scholar
- Miles D, Scott A. Macroeconomics: Understanding the wealth of nations. England: John Wiley and Sons; 2005.Google Scholar
- Nothaft H, Michel P. New York Times Opinion article. Inventing Our Way out of Joblessness 5 Aug 2010.Google Scholar
- OECD. Compendium of Productivity Indicators. OECD. 2008.Google Scholar
- Perry M, U.S. patent activity continues to grow, Carpe Diem Blog, 28 Nov 2010 http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/11/american-exceptionalism-continues-to.html (2010). Accessed 4 Mar 2012.
- Quinn E, IPWatchdog, Inc., Posted: Jan 2, 2011, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2011/01/02/why-patents-matter-job-creation-economic-growth/id=14170/ (2011). Accessed 3 Mar 2012.
- Ritholtz, B. The Big Picture, January 30th, 2009, http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/01/historical-chart-of-initial-public-offerings/ (2009). Accessed 1 Mar 2012.
- Schoen J. msnbc.com, updated 4/27/2004, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4788834/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/us-patent-office-swamped-backlog/ (2004). Accessed 3 Mar 2012.
- Serchuk D. Decimalization and Its Discontents, Forbes.com, March 10, 2009, http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/09/decimalization-uptick-rule-intelligent-investing-volatility.html (2009). Accessed 3 Mar 2012.
- Stewart J. Why $10M IPO’s matter, http://www.urgentspeed.com, 2010
- The Business Review, March 6th, 2012 (quoting PWC, LLC), http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2012/03/ipos-were-down-20-percent-in-2011.html.
- Total factor productivity, Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_factor_productivity. Accessed 1 Mar 2012.
- Weild D, Kim E. Market structure is causing the IPO crisis and more, Grant Thornton, LLP, 2010.Google Scholar
- Weitekamp R, Pruitt B. Job Growth in U.S. Driven Entirely by Startups, Kauffman Foundation Study, http://www.kauffman.org/newsroom/u-s-job-growth-driven-entirely-by-startups.aspx, 7 July 2010.
- Zachariadis M. R&D, Innovation, and Technological Progress: A test of the Schumpeterian Framework without Scale Effects, Department of Economics, 2107 CEBA, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 2002. http://www.bus.lsu.edu/economics/papers/pap02_18.pdf, Accessed 5 Mar 2012.