The Role of Mathematics in the Design Process Under the Influence of Computational and Information Technologies
In the design process today, the use of computational and information technologies demands a new way of thinking: ‘algorithmic thinking’. The first generation of computera-aided design tools have been replaced by highly sophisticated design tools used not only in design but also in construction and product life. These revolutionary step consists in designing directly in 3-D instead of designing by sections and planes. But are computers and new technologies really employed in design process or simply as a new presentation media? To answer this the present paper discusses the role of mathematics in understanding these new technologies and developing algorithmic thinking in the architectural design process. Then the role of mathematics is also briefly discussed in designing in 3D and developing complementary technologies for architectural design process and software architecture for architecture.
KeywordsDesign Process Virtual Reality Architectural Design Mathematical Thinking Digital Medium
- Caldas, L. and Norford, L. 2001. Architectural Constraints in Generative Design System: Interpreting Energy Consumption Levels. Pp. 1397-1404 in Proceedings of the 7th International IBPSA Conference. R. Lamberts, C.O.R. Negrao and J. Hensen, eds. College Station, Tx: Organizing Committee of Building Simulation.Google Scholar
- Ferrar, S. 2001. The Nature of Non-Physical Space’ – Or how I learned to love cyberspace wherever it may be. Pp. 208-213 in Architectural Information Management: 19th eCAADe Conference Proceedings: Education & Curricula Design Theory. Helsinki: Helsinki University of Technology (HUT).Google Scholar
- Fischer, T. and Herr, C. 2001. Teaching Generative Design. In: The Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Generative Art, C. Soddu, ed. http://generativedesign.eu/on/cic /ga2001_PDF/fischer.pdf (accessed 28 November 2013).
- Gönenç Sorguç, A. 2005a. Role of System Architecture in Architecture in Developing New Drafting Tools. “Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements, and Manufacturing, Special Issue on the Latest Frontiers of CAD/CAE/CG”. Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers JSME International Journal, 28, 2: 244-250.Google Scholar
- Vitruvius. 2009. On Architecture. Richard Schofield, trans. London: Penguin Classics.Google Scholar