Experiments in Underactuated In-Hand Manipulation
This paper shows conceptually and experimentally that underactuated robotic hands can stably grasp and manipulate objects placed between the fingertips. Small objects grasped between a planar pair of two-link underactuated fingers having one tendon each are shown to be manipulable over a range of in-hand configurations that can be predicted analytically. The manifold of predicted stable configurations is found by seeking the minimum energy configuration of the elastic fingers under constraints from the actuator tendons and the contact constraints with the grasped objects. Experimental results are shown from HANDLE, a novel underactuated hand capable of a variety of dexterous in-hand tasks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bischoff, R.: KUKA youBot - a mobile manipulator for research and education. In: Proc. Inter. Conf. on Robotics and Automation pp. 1–4 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Willow Garage: PR2 Robot, http://www.willowgarage.com/ (Cited June 3, 2012)
- 3.BarrettHand, http://www.barrett.com/robot/products-hand.htm/ (Cited June 3, 2012)
- 4.Robotiq Adaptive Robot Gripper, http://www.robotiq.com (Cited June 3, 2012)
- 5.Aukes, D., Kim, S., Garcia, P., Edsinger, A., Cutkosky, M.: Selectively Compliant Underactuated Hand for Mobile Manipulation. In: Proc. Inter. Conf. on Robotics and Automation pp. 2824–2929 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Rubinger, B., Fulford, P., Gregoris, L., Gosselin, C., Laliberte, T.: Self-Adapting Robotic Auxiliary Hand (SARAH) for SPDM Operations on the International Space Station. In: Proc. Inter. Symposium on A.I. and Robotics & Automation in Space (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Odhner, L., Dollar, A.M.: The Freeform Manipulator Analysis Tool, http://www.eng.yale.edu/grablab/fmat/ (Cited June 3, 2012)
- 14.Odhner, L., Dollar, A.M.: The Smooth Curvature Model: An Efficient Representation of Euler-Bernoulli Flexures as Robot Joints. IEEE Trans. on Robotics (2012) (in press)Google Scholar
- 15.Su, H.: A Pseudo-rigid-body 3R model for determining large deflection of cantilever beams subject to tip loads. ASME Journ. of Mechanisms and Robotics 1(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Hanafusa, H., Asada, H.: Stable Prehension by a Robot Hand with Elastic Fingers. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Industrial Robots, pp. 361–368 (1977)Google Scholar