Accurate Localization with Ultra-Wideband: Tessellated Spatial Models and Collaboration
Ultra-wideband (UWB) localization is a recent technology that promises to outperform many indoor localization methods currently available. Despite its desirable traits, such as precision and high material penetrability, the resolution of non-line-of-sight (NLOS) signals remains a very hard problem and has a significant impact on the localization accuracy. In this work, we address the peculiarities of UWB error behavior by building models that capture the spatiality as well as the multimodal nature of the error statistics. Our framework utilizes tessellated maps that associate multimodal probabilistic error models to localities in space. In addition to our UWB localization strategy (which provides absolute position estimates), we investigate the effects of collaboration in the form of relative positioning. We test our approach experimentally on a group of ten mobile robots equipped with UWB emitters and extension modules providing inter-robot relative range and bearing measurements.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Jourdan, D.B., Deyst Jr., J.J., Win, M.Z., Roy, N.: Monte Carlo localization in dense multipath environments using UWB ranging. In: IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband (ICU), pp. 314–319 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Lochmatter, T., Roduit, P., Cianci, C., Correll, N., Jacot, J., Martinoli, A.: SwisTrack - A Flexible Open Source Tracking Software for Multi-Agent Systems. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4004–4010 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Prorok, A., Martinoli, A.: A Reciprocal Sampling Algorithm for Lightweight Distributed Multi-Robot Localization. In: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 3241–3247 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Prorok, A., Arfire, A., Bahr, A., Farserotu, J.R., Martinoli, A.: Indoor navigation research with the Khepera III mobile robot: An experimental baseline with a case-study on ultra-wideband positioning. In: International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, IPIN (2010), doi:10.1109/IPIN.2010.5647880Google Scholar
- 9.Prorok, A., Tomé, P., Martinoli, A.: Accommodation of NLOS for Ultra-Wideband TDOA Localization in Single- and Multi-Robot Systems. In: International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation, IPIN (2011), doi:10.1109/IPIN.2011.6071927Google Scholar
- 10.Prorok, A., Bahr, A., Martinoli, A.: Low-Cost Collaborative Localization for Large-Scale Multi-Robot Systems. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4236–4241 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Prorok, A., Gonon, L., Martinoli, A.: Online Model Estimation of Ultra-Wideband TDOA Measurements for Mobile Robot Localization. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 807–814 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Sahinoglu, Z., Gezici, S., Guvenc, I.: Ultra-wideband Positioning Systems. Theoretical Limits, Ranging Algorithms, and Protocols. Cambridge University Press (2008)Google Scholar