A New Histogram-Based Descriptor for Images Retrieval from Databases
In this paper, we propose a new approach for designing histogram-based descriptors. For demonstration purpose, we generate a descriptor based on the histogram of differential-turning angle scale space (d-TASS) function and its derived data. We then compare the proposed histogram-based descriptor with the traditional histogram descriptors in terms of retrieval performance from image databases. Experiments on three shapes databases demonstrate the efficiency and the effectiveness of the new technique: the proposed technique of histogram-based descriptor outperforms the traditional one. These experiments showed also that the proposed histogram-based descriptor using d-TASS function and the derived features performs well compared with the state-of-the-art. When applied to texture images retrieval, the proposed approach yields higher performance than the traditional histogram-based descriptors. From these results, we believe that the proposed histogram-based descriptor should perform efficiently for medical images retrieval so we will focus on this aspect in the future work.
Keywordspattern recognition image description image retrieval texture image differential-turning angle scale space turning angle scale space bull’s eye performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bai, C., Kpalma, K., Ronsin, J.: A New Descriptor Based on 2D DCT for Image Retrieval. In: International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP), Roma, Italy, February 24-26, pp. 714–717 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Ekombo, P.L.E., Ennahnahi, N., Oumsis, M., Meknassi, M.: Application of Affine Invariant Fourier Descriptor to Shape-based Image Retrieval. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security (IJCSNS) 9(7), 240–247 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Zuliani, M., Bhagavathy, S., Manjunath, B., Kenney, C.S.: Affine-invariant Curve Matching. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Zuliani, M., Kenney, C., Bhagavathy, S., Manjunath, B.S.: Drums and Curve Descriptors, British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC) (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Mokhtarian, F., Bober, M.: Curvature Scale Space Representation: Theory, Applications and MPEG-7 Standardization. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.http://vision.ece.ucsb.edu/~zuliani/Research/MCD/MCD.shtml (visited November 25, 2010)
- 15.http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/CVSSP/demos/css/demo.html (visited November 25, 2010)