Compression with Adaptive Speckle Suppression for Ultrasound Medical Images
In the paper is presented one new approach for efficient processing of ultrasound medical images. The application of the algorithm for image compression based on the inverse difference pyramid (IDP) permits together with considerable compression ratio to achieve suppression of the specific (speckle) noise in ultrasound medical images. The paper describes the principle of image decomposition and its modification, designed for this medical application. Special attention is paid to achieve relatively low computational complexity of the used algorithms. Besides, an adaptive filtration aimed at the visual quality improvement of the restored image is also included. At the end of the paper are given experimental results and comparison with other contemporary methods for image archiving based on the JPEG and JPEG 2000 standards.
KeywordsImage compression Speckle noise suppression Digital adaptive fuzzy filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Information Technology–JPEG 2000 Image Coding System: Part 9–Interactivity Tools, APIs and Protocols, no.15444-9, ISO/IECJTC1/SC29/WG1IS, Rev. 3 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Dutt, V., Greenleaf, J.: Speckle Analysis Using Signal to Noise Ratios Based on Fractional Order Moments. In: Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 17, pp. 251–268. Academic Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Rao, K., Yip, P.: Discrete Cosine Transform: Algorithms, Advantages, Applications. Academic Press (1990)Google Scholar
- 12.Nachtegael, M., et al.: Fuzzy Filters for Image Processing. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Nie, Y., Barner, K.: Optimized Fuzzy Transformation for Image Deblocking. IEEE ICME 1, 541–544 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Kountchev, R., Milanova, M., Ford, C., Kountcheva, R.: Multi-layer Image Transmission with Inverse Pyramidal Decomposition. In: Halgamuge, S., Wang, L. (eds.) Computational Intelligence for Modeling and Predictions, vol. 2(13), pp. 179–196. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Kountchev, R., Milanova, M., Todorov, V., Kountcheva, R.: Adaptive Fuzzy Filter for Reduction of Blocking Artifacts in Images Compressed with IDP Decomposition and JPEG. WSEAS Trans. on Signal Processing 7(2), 941–948 (2006)Google Scholar