A Phase-Field Model for Diffusion-Induced Grain Boundary Motion
We consider a phase-field model for diffusion-induced grain boundary motion. This model couples a parabolic variational inequality to a degenerate diffusion equation. We summarize recent results on existence and uniqueness, sharp interface limits and numerical discretization.
KeywordsFree Boundary Travel Wave Solution Boundary Motion Numerical Discretization Parabolic Variational Inequality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. Deckelnick, C. M. Elliott, An existence and uniqueness result for a phase-field model of diffusion-induced grain-boundary motion, Research Report No: 99–12, Centre for Mathematical Analysis and Its Applications, University of Sussex (1999), to appear in Proc. R. Soc. Edinb. A.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Deckelnick, C. M. Elliott, V. Styles. Numerical diffusion-induced grain boundary motion, Research Report No: 00–09, Centre for Mathematical Analysis and Its Applications, University of Sussex (2000), to appear in Interfaces and Free Boundaries.Google Scholar
- 5.P. C. Fife, J. W. Cahn, C. M. Elliott, A free boundary model for diffusion induced grain boundary motion, Research Report No: 99–10, Centre for Mathematical Analysis and Its Applications, University of Sussex (1999), to appear in Interfaces ind Free Boundaries.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Handwerker, Diffusion-induced grain boundary migration in thin films, in Diffusion Phenomena in Thin Films and Microelectronic Materials, D. Gupta and P.S. Ho, eds., 245–322, Noyes Pubs. Park Ridge, N.J., 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.U. F. Mayer, G. Simonett, On diffusion-induced grain-boundary motion, Chen, G.-Q. (ed.) et al., Nonlinear partial differential equations. Proceedings of the international conference, Evanston IL, USA, 1998. Providence, RI: AMS Contemp. Math. 238, 231–240 (1999).Google Scholar