WKB and Turning Point Theory for Second-order Difference Equations
A turning point method for difference equations is developed. This method is coupled with the LG-WKB method via matching to provide approximate solutions to the initial value problem. The techniques developed are used to provide strong asymptotics for Hermite polynomials.
KeywordsTurning point difference equations WKB orthogonal polynomials hermite polynomials.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DM]P. Deift, K. T.-R. McLaughlin, A Continuum Limit of the Toda Lattice, Memoirs of AMS #624 (1998) Providence, RI.Google Scholar
- [G]J.S. Geronimo, WKB and Turning point Theory for second order difference equations: External Fields and Strong Asymptotics for Orthogonal Polynomials, In prep.Google Scholar
- [O]F.W.J. Olver, Asymptotics and Special Functions (1974) Academic Press London.Google Scholar
- [S]G. Szegö, Orthogonal Polynomials, AMS Colloq. Pub. Vol. 23, 4th ed, Providence, RI (1978).Google Scholar
- [V]W. Van Assche, Asymptotics for Orthogonal Polynomial, Lectures Notes in Mathematics 1265 Springer-Verlag (1967) London.Google Scholar