Investigation of the Decomposition of the Solid Solution of a Commercial Al-Zn-Mg Alloy (7015), by Means of DTA, Hardness and Conductivity Measurements
The decomposition of the solid solution of a commercial Al-Zn-Mg alloy (7015) has been followed by means of DTA. The alloy was studied in the as-quenched and naturally aged conditions. Although the sensitivity of the apparatus precluded the study of G.P. zones formation, the precipitation of the η’and/or η phases, and their redissolution processes were identified. By varying the heating rate a value for the activation energy of the precipitation process was estimated. The DTA peaks were interpreted by measuring the changes in the conductivity and Vickers hardness during a linear heating similar to that provided by the DTA equipment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Mondolfo, “Aluminium Alloys, Structure and Properties” Butterworth & C. Ltd., (1976) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Ungar, J. Lendvai and I. Kovacs, Aluminium 55, 663(1979).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Zahra et al, Z. Metallkde 70, 172 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Ryum, Z. Metallkde, 66 338 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.R. Graf and L. Pelletier, Recherche ae’rospatiale 94, 15(1963)Google Scholar