Reichbach’s Proof of CBT
In 1955 Marian Reichbach published a one-page paper titled “A simple demonstration of the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem” which we review now. The proof contains very little that is new and one wonders why it was published at all. The journal in which it was published, Colloquium Mathematica, does publish “interesting new proofs of important theorems” but this criterion can hardly fit Reichbach’s proof. Still, since the paper contains a direct proof of CBT we have included it in our excursion and it concludes our stay at the Polish school.
KeywordsMathematical Logic Direct Proof Category Theory Equality Result Cardinal Number
- Fraenkel AA. Abstract set theory. 3rd ed. Amsterdam: North Holland; 1966.Google Scholar
- Kuratowski C. On a topological problem connected with the Cantor-Bernstein theorem. Fund Math. 1950;37:21–218.Google Scholar
- Reichbach J. Memorial card. Wiadomości Matematyczne. 1995;31:193–6.Google Scholar
- Reichbach M. Memorial card. Wiadomości Matematyczne. 2000;36:189–91.Google Scholar
- Zermelo E. Über die Addition transfiniter Cardinalzahlen, Nachrichten von der Königlich Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen, Mathematisch-Physikalische Klasse aus dem Jahre 1901;34–8.Google Scholar