Allen-Cahn and Cahn-Hilliard Variational Inequalities Solved with Optimization Techniques
Parabolic variational inequalities of Allen-Cahn and Cahn-Hilliard type are solved using methods involving constrained optimization. Time discrete variants are formulated with the help of Lagrange multipliers for local and non-local equality and inequality constraints. Fully discrete problems resulting from finite element discretizations in space are solved with the help of a primal-dual active set approach. We show several numerical computations also involving systems of parabolic variational inequalities.
KeywordsOptimization Phase-field method Allen-Cahn model Cahn-Hilliard model variational inequalities active set methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.L. Blank, H. Garcke, L. Sarbu, T. Srisupattarawanit, V. Styles, and A. Voigt, Phase-field approaches to structural topology optimization, a contribution in this book.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Blank, M. Butz, and H. Garcke, Solving the Cahn-Hilliard variational inequality with a semi-smooth Newton method, ESAIM: Control, Optimization and Calculus of Variations, DOI: 10.1051/COCV/2010032.Google Scholar
- 5.L. Blank, H. Garcke, L. Sarbu, and V. Styles, Primal-dual active set methods for Allen-Cahn variational inequalities with non-local constraints. DFG priority program 1253 “Optimization with PDEs”, Preprint No. 1253-09-01.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Blank, H. Garcke, L. Sarbu, and V. Styles, Non-local Allen-Cahn systems: Analysis and a primal dual active set method. Preprint No. 02/2011, Universität Regensburg.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Blank, L. Sarbu, and M. Stoll, Preconditioning for Allen-Cahn variational inequalities with non-local constraints. Preprint Nr.11/2010, Universität Regensburg, Mathematik.Google Scholar
- 10.J.F. Blowey and C.M. Elliott, A phase-field model with a double obstacle potential. Motion by mean curvature and related topis (Trento, 1992), 1–22, de Gruyter, Berlin 1994.Google Scholar
- 16.C. Gräser and R. Kornhuber, On preconditioned Uzawa-type iterations for a saddle point problem with inequality constraints. Domain decomposition methods in science and engineering XVI, 91–102, Lect. Notes Comput. Sci. Engl. 55, Springer, Berlin 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.M. Hintermüller, M. Hinze, and M.H. Tber, An adaptive finite element Moreau-Yosida-based solver for a non-smooth Cahn-Hilliard problem. Matheon preprint Nr. 670, Berlin (2009), to appear in Optimization Methods and Software.Google Scholar
- 20.R. Kornhuber and R. Krause. On multigrid methods for vector-valued Allen-Cahn equations with obstacle potential. Domain decomposition methods in science and engineering, 307–314 (electronic), Natl. Auton. Univ. Mex., México, 2003.Google Scholar
- 24.A. Schmidt and K.G. Siebert, Design of adaptive finite element software. The finite element toolbar. ALBERTA, Lecture Notes in Computational Science and Engineering 42, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 2005.Google Scholar