The End of Television and the New Beginning?
- 18 Downloads
This chapter compares and contrasts aspects of television streaming and especially its impact on television-related practices, particularly involving quality drama series. It frames streaming in terms of the three key topics—television in a global world, television drama in the public interest and the end of television—and demonstrates how new digital production cultures, publishing models and industry–audience relations enable more flexible storytelling techniques, new production models and new publishing strategies. It also contests the argument that television is dying or that the ‘love affair’ between the industry and its audience has ended.
KeywordsPublic service television Streaming Television drama Television studies The end of television Transnational television
- blank. NRK. 2018–2019.Google Scholar
- Bruun, Hanne. 2020. Re-Scheduling Television in the Digital Era. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Flew, Terry, Petros Iosifidis, and Jeanette Steemers, eds. 2016. Global Media and National Policies. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Hill, Annette. 2019. Media Experiences. Engaging with Drama and Reality Television. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hills, Matt, Michele Hilmes, and Roberta Pearson, eds. 2019. Transatlantic Television Drama. Industries, Programmes, & Fans. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Jacobsen, Ushma Chauhan, and Pia Majbritt Jensen. 2020. Unfolding the Global Travel of Danish Television Drama Series. In The Global Audiences of Danish Television Drama, eds. Pia Majbritt Jensen and Ushma Chauhan Jacobsen, 9–19. Göteborg: Nordicom.Google Scholar
- Jensen, Pia Majbritt, and Ushma Chauhan Jacobsen, eds. 2020. The Global Audiences of Danish Television Drama. Göteborg: Nordicom.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Catherine, and Lauren Dempsey. 2020. How Coronavirus Might have Changed TV Viewing Habits for Good—New Research. The Conversation, 11 November.Google Scholar
- Lilyhammer. Rubicon TV for NRK and Netflix. 2012–2014.Google Scholar
- Lobato, Ramon. 2019. Netflix Nations. The Geography of Digital Distribution. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- SKAM/SHAME. NRK. 2015–2017.Google Scholar
- Wallace, Petter. 2015. Head of External Productions at NRK, in-person interview, Oslo, 15 January.Google Scholar