Towards a Secure Data Exchange in IIoT
Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) plays a central role in the Fourth Industrial Revolution, with many specialists working towards implementing large scalable, reliable and secure industrial environments. However, existing environments are lacking security standards and have limited resources per component which results in various security breaches, e.g., trust in between the components, partner factories or remote control units with the system. Due to the resilience and its security properties, combining blockchain-based solutions with IIoT environments is gaining popularity. Despite that, chain-structured classic blockchain solutions are extremely resource-intensive and are not suitable for power-constrained IoT devices. To mitigate the referred security challenges, a secure architecture is proposed by using a DAG-structured asynchronous blockchain that can provide system security and transactions efficiency at the same time. Use-cases and sequence diagrams were created to model the solution. The achieved results are robust, supported by an extensive security evaluation, which foster future developments over the proposed architecture. Therefore, as the proposed architecture is generic and flexible, its deployment in diverse customized industrial environments and scenarios, as well as the incorporation of future hardware and software, is possible.
KeywordsBlockchain IoT Industrial IoT Cybersecurity
This work has been supported by FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia within the Project Scope: UIDB/05757/2020.
- 1.Cisco. Annual cybersecurity report (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Fan, X., Fan, K., Wang, Y., Zhou, R.: Overview of cyber-security of industrial control system. In: Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Cyber Security of Smart Cities, Industrial Control System and Communications, SSIC 2015, pp. 1–7 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1109/SSIC.2015.7245324
- 3.Frustaci, M., Pace, P., Aloi, G., Fortino, G.: Evaluating critical security issues of the IoT world: present and future challenges. IEEE IoT J. 5(4), 2483–2495 (2018). ISSN: 23274662Google Scholar
- 5.Hong, S., Lee, M.: Challenges and direction toward secure communication in the SCADA system. In: CNSR 2010 Proceedings - 8th Annual Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Baliga, A.: Understanding blockchain consensus models. Whitepaper, no. April, pp. 1–14 (2017). https://www.persistent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/WP-Understanding-Blockchain-Consensus-Models.pdf
- 7.Williamson, Z.J.: The AZTEC protocol. Whitepaper, pp. 1–24 (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Sukiasyan, A.: Secure data exchange in IIoT. Master thesis in Information Systems – Polytechnic Institute of Bragança (2019)Google Scholar