Identifying the Most Appropriate Classifier for Underpinning Assistive Technology Adoption for People with Dementia: An Integration of Fuzzy AHP and VIKOR Methods
- 659 Downloads
Recently, the number of People with Dementia (PwD) has been rising exponentially across the world. The main symptoms that PwD experience include impairments of reasoning, memory, and thought. Owing to the burden faced by this chronic condition, Assistive Technology-based solutions (ATS) have been prescribed as a form of treatment. Nevertheless, it is widely acknowledged that low adoption rates of ATS have hampered their benefits within a health and social care context. It is then necessary to effectively discriminate between adopters and non-adopters of such solutions to avoid cost implications, improve the life quality of adopters, and find intervention alternatives for non-adopters. Several classifiers have been proposed as advancement towards the personalisation of self-management interventions for dementia in a scalable way. As multiple algorithms have been developed, an important step in technology adoption is to select the most appropriate classification alternative based on different criteria. This paper presents the integration of Fuzzy AHP (FAHP) and VIKOR to address this challenge. First, FAHP was used to calculate the criteria and sub-criteria weights under uncertainty and then VIKOR was implemented to rank the classifiers. A case study considering a mobile-based self-management and reminding solution for PwD is described to validate the proposed approach. The results revealed that Easiness of interpretation (GW = 0.192) and Handling of missing data (GW = 0.145) were the two most important criteria. Furthermore, SVM (Qj = 1.0) and AB (Qj = 0.891) were concluded to be the most suitable classifiers for supporting ATS adoption in PwD.
KeywordsTechnology adoption Dementia Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process (FAHP) VIKOR Healthcare
This research has received funding under the REMIND project Marie Sklodowska-Curie EU Framework for Research and Innovation Horizon 2020, under Grant Agreement No. 734355. The authors also acknowledge the contribution of Giselle Paola Polifroni Avendaño who fully supported this investigation.
- 1.Hurst, A., Tobias, J.: Empowering individuals with do-it-yourself assistive technology. Paper Presented at the ASSETS 2011: Proceedings of the 13th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, pp. 11–18 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Kintsch, A., DePaula, R.: A framework for the adoption of assistive technology. In: SWAAAC 2002: Supporting Learning Through Assistive Technology, pp. 1–10 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Pal, J., et al.: Agency in assistive technology adoption: visual impairment and smartphone use in bangalore. Paper Presented at the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings, pp. 5929–5940 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Cleland, I., et al.: Predicting technology adoption in people with dementia; initial results from the TAUT project. In: Pecchia, L., Chen, L.L., Nugent, C., Bravo, J. (eds.) IWAAL 2014. LNCS, vol. 8868, pp. 266–274. Springer, Cham (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13105-4_39CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Singh, S., Olugu, E.U., Musa, S.N., Mahat, A.B., Wong, K.Y.: Strategy selection for sustainable manufacturing with integrated AHP-VIKOR method under interval-valued fuzzy environment. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 84(1–4), 547–563 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-7553-9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Chaghooshi, A.J., Zarchi, M.K.: Using integration of fuzzy AHP-VIKOR for selecting the best strategy in green supply chain management. Glob. J. Manag. Stud. Res. 1(1), 46–53 (2014)Google Scholar
- 25.Ortiz, M.A., López-Meza, P.: Using computer simulation to improve patient flow at an outpatient internal medicine department. In: García, C.R., Caballero-Gil, P., Burmester, M., Quesada-Arencibia, A. (eds.) UCAmI 2016. LNCS, vol. 10069, pp. 294–299. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-48746-5_30CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Ortiz Barrios, M., Felizzola Jiménez, H., Nieto Isaza, S.: Comparative analysis between ANP and ANP-DEMATEL for six sigma project selection process in a healthcare provider. In: Pecchia, L., Chen, L.L., Nugent, C., Bravo, J. (eds.) IWAAL 2014. LNCS, vol. 8868, pp. 413–416. Springer, Cham (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-13105-4_62CrossRefGoogle Scholar